Do I need a new torch?

Started by Shirl, July 28, 2011, 11:20:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shirl

I have done my years apprenticeship on my trusty HHead and am thinking of upgrading, but to which torch?

Is the only difference with big girls torches the speed that they melt the glass, or are there other differences as well?

Can anyone point me in the direction of some advice on this.

thanks

hollergrafik

I swear by my mini CC, large bushy flame that also turns down to be a pinpoint, wouldnt change it for any other torch.

fionaess

the GTT torches are great and hold their prices well - I've had a Bobcat and now have a Scorpion and have been really happy with both of them.  They are also optimised for use with oxycons.

If it's got a hole, it's a bead !

awrylemming

I wish I'd had the opportunity to try a mini CC before I bought my mega minor.  I do like this torch, but I know I would have gone for that if I'd had the chance to compare.  Is there any chance of you going anywhere to try various torches prior to buying?

ARBeads

Where are you Shirl? I've got a Bobcat and a Mega Minor if you want to come and try - we're in Burton Upon Trent.
Ruth & Andy

www.etsy.com/shop/arjewellery for beads!

Shirl

Quote from: ARBeads on July 28, 2011, 11:53:06 PM
Where are you Shirl? I've got a Bobcat and a Mega Minor if you want to come and try - we're in Burton Upon Trent.

Thats good of you to offer, I am close to Sheffield.

I need to do a bit more research first before I decide to take the plunge. I think I do need to try some out and find the one that suits my style (slow  ;D)

fionaess

Do you really want to upgrade from a HH? I got more from DH reducing glass with my HH than with either of my two torches

If it's got a hole, it's a bead !

Shirl

Quote from: fionaess on July 29, 2011, 12:39:24 AM
Do you really want to upgrade from a HH? I got more from DH reducing glass with my HH than with either of my two torches

I dont really know if I want to or not. I do love my hothead and dont really find it too slow, but sometimes I feel like I would like a more concentrated flame for details.

I like to work with silver glass.

awrylemming

Yep, it sounds like you definitely need to physically try some different torches before deciding whether or not to upgrade.  You make lovely beads on your hothead, and there are many well known glass artists who have stayed with their hothead for many years.  My friend Lauren of Maybeads still works on a hothead, and her beads are fabulous!  I personally have never regretted getting a faster torch, but I think that's more because I need to physically work faster due to my arthritis.  While you're going to your torch and still enjoying using it, why change it?

sparrow

Shirl, I don't have any GTT torches, but I have a Nortel Minor, Mega Minor and Midrange for you to play with in Sheffield ;)
Sabine x

www.littlecastledesigns.co.uk www.facebook.com/littlecastledesigns Ring Top Tutorial

The Tartan Trout

I have a Nortel Minor and have used a cricket...minor is definetly my favourite of the two

Shirl

I think I do need to try out some different torches before I make a decision. I will have to come over Sabine, I keep planning to, but you know what its like, something else always comes up to make you do other things!

My main question is.....what is the difference to my HH, is it just the speed of the melt? If its just the speed then it might not be a good idea for me to have a fast torch as I like to work slow and relaxed ;)  OR are ther other differences to make it worthwhile changing?

sparrow

The speed is one thing, but it's also adjustability - bushy to pinpoint flame, flexibility with the silver glasses, and LESS NOISE!! Which has to be my personal favourite :) Actually, maybe speed is my favourite, because I work fast and hot :)
Sabine x

www.littlecastledesigns.co.uk www.facebook.com/littlecastledesigns Ring Top Tutorial

Kaz

I also think it's the cleanliness of the flame due to the oxygen.
Kazx
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

GaysieMay

The noise is a big factor too, I'd forgotten how much quieter my minor is compared to the hothead I used to use.
www.GaysieMay.etsy.com
www.facebook.com/gaysiemay