Where can I find out about craft fairs?

Started by Lotti, July 21, 2011, 10:27:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lotti

I am really really enjoying my weekly stall at Hatherleigh craft and antiques market and am trying to find more to approach.  I have done lots of searches on the internet but can't seem to find very much and I wondered if there is a central place where such fairs are advertised (I guess alot of little ones are ones that you just know about, but thought I would ask incase I am missing something). :)

awrylemming

I always go to my local arts group - they inevitably know what's going on  :)

firedinglass

Hi Lotti, I'm sure i saw an ad somewhere for a new weekly market in Tavistock, that's not too far from you.  Perhaps the local council would know, or at least they might know who organizes things at the market?  Tourist information even???? Good luck.  I'm also beginning to think i must be more proactive and make some money back instead of it all going one way!  I've got an exhibition with a local art group in August so fingers crossed! :)

www.facebook.com/firedinglass
http://www.etsy.com/shop/firedinglass
Lisa

Lotti

Thanks folks. Re Tavi, the daily market is pretty full I think, I hadn't heard about a weekly one.  I would love to do Tavi but Donna is in Tavi and wouldn't want to step on her toes :)  Am gradually finding contacts, I do enjoy it even if I don't make a huge amount, gets me out of the house as no students at the mo and I get to meet lots of interesting people.  Got interest this week from a young chap!  Had clocked his very pretty (if underdressed) girlfriend, and decdied they were young farmers so was very surprised when I asked all about my work and commented on one of my leather necklace thingies!  You just never know!!!! :) :)

Scottie

Hi there

I have found the below websites a good source of finding smaller events to attend - they are:

http://www.stallfinder.com     On the right hand side of the website you can search event by county which is great.

http://www.craftsforum.co.uk

Then try a goggle search 'whats on in (then type in the counties near you)

If you live near Dorset / Hampshire then let me know and I can give you some contact details.

Karen
X

JewelsK

Another idea is to take a look at "Events" pages on other people's websites - then you can pop along and see what the fair is like before committing yourself :)

Blue Box Studio

How far is Newton Abbot from you?  I'm doing Kevin Murphy's fair at the racecourse (but he might be maxed out on jewellers and bead makers seeing I'm going).  I've always done well at most of Kevin's fairs, but not tried NA before.  Hope it's OK, bit of a hike from Clevedon.  Rita's also doing one of his, forget whether that might be Yeovil though, bit far from you (and I'm there too).

I usually google 'craft fair & area' when I'm on the hunt for more fairs.  Plymouth usually has a few, too far?  Not sure what they are like but I used to be on a mail list covering Plymouth because I had (now ex) family there.
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

SRJ

Is the one at NA the one Gem and Bead fair in September?   I usually pop in to the February one to stock up on bits and pieces.....  will probably be working when the September is on.  They're usually full of mass produced stuff rather than individual 'art' type lampworked bead sellers. Los of customers though, spending lots of money. I imagine the stall rent is a lot. 
I have made contact recently with an organiser in the Plymouth area with a view to doing a few more. Most National Trust properties do one or to a year and have a well heeled clientel....

Sue

Blue Box Studio

Our NT property didn't even mention it to anyone locally, or the NOrth Somerset arts, so I missed out on that one - well, they aren't replying to my ewmails.

The NA one is 13 November, just noticed I'm in Salisbury on the 12th so I'll be clocking up the miles that weekend.   http://www.kevinmurphycraftfairs.co.uk/newtonabbot.html
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

SRJ

If it's November I might have to come in and say hello.  I will have finished weekend working by then - at least until next year!!!!!!

Sue

laurat

Stallfinder is the best I have found so far, the local paper may have some listing. What about emailing local schools to see if they are having any christmas/autumn fairs - these are mostly primary schools I find.

hope it hlps.

L