Advice on good fusing/casting book

Started by Steampunkglass, July 18, 2011, 06:01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steampunkglass

I've never really been that interested in doing fusing, I've always been quite happy to just lampwork, however the trip to Stourbridge has got me really interested in exploring fusing and casting etc.

Before I start laying out on courses and equipment, I was wondering if there was a really good book/s that any fusers would recommend? Something that's not too basic, but covers the basics with lots of extra info that would be handy as/if I become more proficent?  ??? ???

Lucas

I'd go for the newer Brad Walker one if I were you - the original was called warm glass (I think), but the newer one is called contemporary fused glass.  Haven't got it but it's the one I flick through every chance I get at glassy shops! 

Have checked and warm-glass sell it http://www.warm-glass.co.uk/contemporary-fused-glass-p-917.html
for £23.74, and creative glass guild have it too https://www.creativeglassguild.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=56_135&products_id=3512
but their price is £29.99 (ouch!)
Have you tried libraries?  Maybe worth a look.  Sometimes you find interesting books at big garden centres too - I know it sounds crazy, but there are two near me I can think of which have loads of books discounted, and I know I've seen a couple of interesting ones there - not beads/glass but can't hurt to keep your eyes open!
The Brad Walker one goes from pretty straightforward/simple things but then goes on into quite technical detail - you could just read the more readable bits until you're ready for the rest!
Let us know how you get on.
Lucas

Avril

Hi - I bought the Brad Walker, Warm Glass, book when I got into glass fusing.....I would suggest that it's ok for someone that has absolutely no knowledge of fusing at all - a tempter book - but I found it a little disappointing.  I was looking for a book that would not only give me heaps of information but would then lead me further on into glass fusing but this didn't.  It's an expensive book to buy new - I'd definitely see if you can look at a copy before you spend your money.

GaysieMay

Glen I have the contempory warm glass one if you'd like to look at it - no rush for it back.  PM me your address and I'll post it to you.  :)
www.GaysieMay.etsy.com
www.facebook.com/gaysiemay

Steampunkglass

Quote from: GaysieMay on July 18, 2011, 08:56:39 PM
Glen I have the contempory warm glass one if you'd like to look at it - no rush for it back.  PM me your address and I'll post it to you.  :)
Thats a really kind offer, sounds like it'll give me the info I need to start getting my head around it!  ;D

Warm Glass UK

Brad runs the www.warmglass.com site which is the most active onine FUSING only forum on the web. It has some brilliant tutorials which are free so I'd suggest taking a look herebefore buying anything. Pippa

Steampunkglass

Quote from: Pippa Bluck on July 19, 2011, 09:14:19 AM
Brad runs the www.warmglass.com site which is the most active onine FUSING only forum on the web. It has some brilliant tutorials which are free so I'd suggest taking a look herebefore buying anything. Pippa
Ta Pippa, I'll certianly have a stalk around there and start making some notes of what I'll need and things to try ;) The wish list since Stourbridge has got quite long  ::)

Chameleon

Glenn, I have this one which I think is excellent covers a variety of things (fusing, slumping, casting inc mould making etc), pm me if you want to borrow and I'l send it  :)

Purple Cobwebs

Becky, does that one cover kiln schedules? I'm looking to treat myself to a fusing/slumping book, but the thing I find most tricky is programming the kiln!!!!
Gaynor
Making beads, cards and jewellery to raise funds for Viva and Dr Hadwens Trust!
www.purplecobwebs.co.uk