Toughened glass

Started by laurat, July 18, 2011, 02:49:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laurat

Has anyone any ideas on if toughened glass can be fused onto? What type of glass would work; bullseye/artista/spectrum??

I am thinking of doing some door panels and feel normal glass wouldn't be suitable.

Going off to investigate but any advice would be greatfully received!

Laura

ARBeads

As soon as toughened glass reaches annealing temperature it's no longer toughened so unsuitabe for fusing if the tempered characteristic is what you're after. You also can't cold work toughened glass as it results in loads of thumbnail size 'frit'.

Ruth
Ruth & Andy

www.etsy.com/shop/arjewellery for beads!

Zeldazog

Laura, Ruth is correct - safety glass is basically float glass that is toughened by a rapidly cooling the outside layer through the annealing/cool down stage, which creates a kind of tension between the outer and the inner layer, so that if the glass breaks, the tension makes it shatter into "frit", rather than sharp pieces.

Moreton

Hi Laura as Dawn and Ruth have said you can't use toughened glass. It is essentially unworkable after the process of toughening.  You can ,however , make your panel from "normal" glass, Bullseye or whatever and then send it away to have it toughened. I believe that Pearsons offer that service but no idea of the price. An alternative, perhaps a safer end product too is to have your finished item laminated.
I'll post a link for that soon.

Let us know how you get on.

ETA    PVS,  01274 616941 In Pudsey, W. Yorkshire will laminate your work to the required BSI standard.

http://www.pvsuk.net/www.pvsuk.net/info.php?p=2
Pete

laurat

Thanks for the info, it makes much more sense now.

laura