Couple of questions about propane hosing

Started by Amber, July 17, 2011, 01:33:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amber

I've just had a look at my propane hosing and part of it looks like this  :o

Now I'd say that looks pretty bad, but I've just done a leak test with soapy water and it doesn't appear to be leaking. Now I'm doubting whether I did the test correctly  ??? Should I replace it anyway?

Which brings me on to question 2...the hosing in the first pic is the bit where it connects to the flashback arrestor and it looks really complicated, not just a matter of clipping it on. In the other pic the crack is just next to the quick release connector and that looks almost as complcated to fit. Can I buy hosing with the fittings already attached (bearing in mind that I don't really want to replace all 5 metres of hosing, just a foot or so) or would I have to do it all myself?

Help!

hollergrafik

I had that on mine, I cut the bad bit off and reatached it, I did a leave test with Gas Safe testing liquid and it didn't leak, but like you I wanted to be sure

Sarah

Hmm I can't help with the best way to replace it but I'm with Kay - I would definitely replace it. Better to be safe than sorry.

Sarah
xxx

helbels

If you give Martin a ring, he might be able to help somehow?

Nick

Hi,

It is a relatively easy job to do. If it were me I would replace the whole hose. (if its starting to perish then you can't say when or where it may leak)

You can buy propane hose by the metre and some suppliers will fit the end pieces for you, for a small fee.
If you want to do the job yourself then Martin at Tuffnels sells the clips. http://www.tuffnellglass.com/contents/en-uk/d100_01.html forth item down. The actual connectors should be fine as they are made from brass. If you squeeze the sticky out bits of the clamp together with a pair of pliers then you can pull the hose off the connector, brut force and ignorance at this stage. Or saw the old clip off with a hacksaw. When you get the new hose put the clip over it then fit it to the connector. If it is tight use a very small amount of washing up liquid as a lubricant (BUT NOT ON YOUR OXYGEN PIPE) only on propane. Once everything is lined up then pinch the lugs on the clip. A little bit on one side then the other and so on until the clip is tight so you get an even pinch with the clip. Give it a quick leak test with some soapy water around the joints, Job done.

I think Calor will sell hose by the metre and may fit the connectors but I would ring around local bottled gas suppliers. if its a short length this should be cheaper than a new ready made hose and give you the length you need.

There is a tool for crimping the clips but any end cutters similar to these will crimp the clip http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=89713 I got a pair for a couple of quid from a boot sale.
Just be careful not to cut the clip.

Hope this helps

Amber

OK, looks like I'd better replace it  8) Thanks so much for such an informative reply Nick! I think I'd better get someone more knowledgeable than me to have a go, I'm a bit scared i might end up blowing myself up if I get it wrong!

Kalorlo

The o-clips or lemon clip thingies like the one at the quick release end you can do yourself, but the flashback arrestor connection is different.

(This is why I still don't have my quick releases fitted, btw - I wanted to change out the hose for the size that would fit them, but there is no one in my area who could clamp it all together again for me. I was sent from plumbing place to plumbing place  to tool place and none of them knew. I eventually got a number for someone rather far away that 'might' know. Who I haven't contacted yet).

Nick

The flashback arrestor connects to your regulator then you need a brass connector to screw onto the other end of the flashback arrestor. The hose fits onto the brass connector in the same way as the other connections on the hose using the same clips to secure it. The type of connector you need is like the one that Martin sells (Tuffnels http://www.tuffnellglass.com/contents/en-uk/d100_01.html bottom two items. Bottom one for oxygen the next up for propane you need the correct one as the threads are different). If you give Martin a call he can confirm which ones you need. This brass connector just tightens to your flashback arrestor using a spanner then the hose fits to the brass connector.

Hope this clarifies the flashback connection you need an extra bit to get the hose to fit.

Regards

Kalorlo

Nick: but my flashback arrestor is attached to the hose the same as in Amber's first pic, with a different type of clip that seems to have been mechanically crimped all the way round (tbh, I have no idea how I'd remove it if I was trying to). It isn't the same as the o-clips.

Hamilton Taylor

The crimp ('swaged') clip connector can be snipped off, then a connector with a barb and 'lemon' clip attached - they do the same job.
Hth,
Sean

Margram

Glad you posted this question Amber, because I noticed some slight cracking in my hose last week (not as bad as yours, but still...). Now I know what to (get my OH to) do :)
Marg x  Etsy Flickr My blog

Nick

Quote from: Kalorlo on July 19, 2011, 06:48:27 PM
Nick: but my flashback arrestor is attached to the hose the same as in Amber's first pic, with a different type of clip that seems to have been mechanically crimped all the way round (tbh, I have no idea how I'd remove it if I was trying to). It isn't the same as the o-clips.

As Sean said it's just a different type of clip.
This type of clip is usually fitted to ready made up hoses such as the ones Martin or calor sells. If you cut it off with snips or a hacksaw you can put a new hose over the old brass connector.

Hope this clarifies and helps