Slumping mould sale...

Started by Lucas, July 15, 2011, 11:27:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucas

Just wanted to flag up to everyone that warm glass are taking 30% off of moulds from July 19th to 24th. Click http://www.warm-glass.co.uk/casting-moulds-glass-slumping-molds-c-96_73.html?page=all&sort=20a&disp_order=6
and hopefully you'll get there!  (For anyone new (newer than me I mean!) they do free delivery on your first order and after than free delivery if you spend over £75, which unfortunately not very hard to do!)

Lucas

Black Heart Beads

Thanks, I have a few in my wish list that may now make it into my basket  :)

Purple Cobwebs

My first foray into slumping!!! Have added a few to my basket!
Do you have to use bullseye glass, or can you use 104? I was thinking this might be a good way of using up tiddly rod ends?
Gaynor
Making beads, cards and jewellery to raise funds for Viva and Dr Hadwens Trust!
www.purplecobwebs.co.uk

SueP

I ordered a few   ::) even without free delivery I find standard very quick  :)

Lucas

I was checking out what I wanted (long list!) on monday night, and the % was already taken off, so I put the order through then, and it arrived yesterday, so even though it was standard delivery it must have been processed first thing tuesday to get to me yesterday! Big big big to-do list developing now though!

Purple Cobwebs - you can use whatever type of glass you have, so long as it's all the same, but i'm not sure what kind of schedule you'd need.  I'm sure I've heard of other people using little casting moulds to chuck all their bits and pieces of leftovers in, so definately a possibility!

noora

Thanks for the tip! I've been hankering for some casting moulds and I was about to order some powder frit soon anyway (I want to try the freeze & fuse method) so why not sooner than later ;D And of course I had to order some fine and medium frit for the casting moulds too...

Oh my, I'm going to be in trouble when all that arrives - jars and jars of frit that must be stored somewhere 8) We're not talking cute little accessory frit jars like the ones you buy for lampworking, we're talking 450 g cans. Lots of them...

Lucas

I have a big drawer thing under the bed and tell husband dearest that he can't look in there because I've already bought part of his birthday/christmas/anniversary/fathers day (etc) present and it's in there, and the kids would be really upset if it wasn't a surprise...

Problem is, then I have to get him something when it is those days!

noora

We have drawers under the beds too. Problem is they're already full... on the other hand, who needs those extra pillows and blankets that we store in them when you have frit :) I could just move the kiln to the bedroom and fuse some glass during the night if it gets too cold ;D

Lucas

My kiln is already in the bedroom - great on cold nights, but not so much on those muggy summer nights (not that there have been many of those lately!)  I also have a clothes airer in there (not right next to the kiln!) when it's on, as then everything dries more quickly!  At first I found the air in the room got really really dry when the kiln was on - hubby and I were both waking up with dry throats - but now I put a bowl of water on top of it which evaporates as the cycle goes through - much better!
Good luck with the casting - which moulds did you get?

noora

I got some small ones that will (hopefully) fit in my little kiln. Earring drops and and circles, and a larger pendant pod mould.

Purple Cobwebs

I got a small round bowl, a little plate, a pendant drop, a star, and some mosaic tiles. Now got to research the kiln schedule and pluck up the courage to have a go!!!! ::)
Gaynor
www.purplecobwebs.co.uk

noora

I just bought a book about fusing/kiln forming (written by Petra Kaiser, as in Kaiser Lee board) with lots of inspiration and instructions, including schedules :) Of course they use KL board for everything in the book, but the basic principles for moulding and slumping should be the same. It'll come in handy when my frit arrives. I suspect glass sent from the UK to Sweden travels by donkey cart, it's always so slow :(

I already have a slumping bowl and I've used it twice. Works fabulously :)

Purple Cobwebs

Ooh, that sounds interesting Noora. May have to do an online search for that one.

I spent most of yesterday priming all my molds and then heating them in the kiln to dry.

I'm just trying my very first slumped bowl, and am feeling very nervous! I dread to think what I'll find slumped in te bottom of the kiln later :D
Gaynor
www.purplecobwebs.co.uk

noora

Good luck, I'm sure it will be fine :)