Oxygen Low/How do I adjust my Oxycon

Started by Madam Steph, July 03, 2011, 01:36:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madam Steph

I just fired up the Cricket and it's going great.
About 15 minutes into it, my Oxycon which has a slight 'spit' every now and then (is this normal?) shows Oxygen Low..the flame withdraws to almost gone and the service light comes on. So far I have never had any audible signal, also, following the little leaflet that came with it, I have it set to 4.5..it then creeps up to 5
George, on a thread said she runs her Oxycon at 3.5, so what is happening to my Oxycon, and also how do i adjust it to 3, please?

Although it's my first time using it, I did buy it from a chap on here a couple of weeks ago, who bought it from Martin last August and he said it was working well for him.

One thing extra is, it's in my Loungio, and in a corner. should it be more out in the open?
I have windows open, but not a lot of airflow in this house

Blue Box Studio

I run mine at 4, which is what was on Martin's leaflet.  It's under my workbench so doesn't get air unless it draws it from the shedio/open window.  Mine's about 2 months old (in it's reincarnation of saving glass not lives) but occasionally it sounds like (quiet)  air brakes on a lorry but other than when I twiddled things the wrong way, I've not had a warning light yet.  I've not heard an audible warning either.  Be interested to see what info you get, it's a bit of a dark art to me.
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

Madam Steph

Well, I just had another go.
This time i moved the Oxycon to the middle of the room.
I let it run for about 3 mins 'fore lighting torch.
The usual 'pftfiiizzz' followed by very low pop as it went along, then 11 mins into it the Low Oxygen light came on. The flame wilted slightly, I tweaked the torch. Low Oxy light goes off after about 3 mins.
This happened about 3 times.
Last time, I noticed the pressure had gone down from 4 to 2, then up to 3, then as flame died, down to base and red service light is on.
Grrrrrrrr!!!!!
I'm wasting all my Effetre Dark Grey Transparent and Reich Mystic Red  >:(

Blue Box Studio

I'd ring Martin for a chat tomorrow.  What make is yours, someone sent me the Devilbiss 5 litre service book (forget who but thank you) if that might help.  Send me your email addy in a PM if you want me to forward to you.
Sue

Fruddy

when I first started out, it was nearly winter last year, and I kept my oxy on the back end of my workbench (BIIIG workbench!) to keep it off the floor because of damp.

When spring arrived, I noticed that after an hour or so at the torch, the "low oxygen" light came on.  Puzzled me for a while, but then I realised that because the air on and above the bench was warmer than on the floor, the oxycon was struggling to get enough "fresh/cool" air to produce the required amount of oxygen.

Moved it to near the shed door and have never had the low oxy light come on since.

I honestly believe that these machines need a constant supply of cool/fresh air to operate properly.  I may well be wrong, but since moving mine, I haven't had a problem with it.

Blue Box Studio

Hmmmn, can't put it near the door, wrong side of room, so looks like another hole in the wall session coming on.  My shedio has had more holes in  it than swiss cheese over the years!
Sue

Madam Steph