Advice needed please, on using Bullseye with Hot Head torch

Started by Suzy, June 30, 2007, 07:32:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suzy

Hi.Everyone.
Started beadmaking 2 weeks ago with a HH and Mapp gas and Reichenbach glass.My intention is to work with Bullseye glass as I already use this in my glass fusing,however what threads I have found so far regarding working with BE seem to indicate that it can be done on a HH but that it is hard work.In what way I'm not sure!
So before I invest in the equipment to convert to using bulk propane on the HH I would really appreciate some feedback on the above and also what is the best torch/gas for working with BE.Thanks again to Hazel who already has offered some advise.
Cheers.Suzy.

littlegiggles

Basically the lower the COE the more heat you  need to melt the glass.  The hot head doesnt really produce enough heat, thats the only problem with bullseye on the HH

Buzzybead

I would still go bulk though - the saving is phenominal and you don't have the worry of
a) when will the gas run out
b) ecological issues of disposing with the cannisters

I've never looked back.

Shirley

What she said about bulk  ;D

As far as bullseye goes I have no idea. There are lots of nice 104 glasses out there to play with too :)
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

Sarah

I agree on bulk - you will get payback on the initial outlay very quickly.

I fuse as well & love bullseye colours. But for bead making you'll get far more choice if you go down the coe 104 route. I stick with 104 for beads & bullseye for fusing.

Sulis (Hazel)

I keep a small amount of Bullseye separately and use it occasionally on a HH. Yes it's slow, but not unworkable and there are some lovely colours and dichroics available. It's also great if you're fusing with Bullseye too, you can mix fused and lampworked components in one piece - so long as you do keep your Bullseye on it's own and don't mix it up with other COE glass. One thing I do like about Bullseye is that you do get different colours, frit, confetti etc which is helpful to make your work stand out more. I guess it all depends on what you're after.  ;)
Hazel x