Raking beads

Started by Buzzybead, June 30, 2007, 01:18:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzzybead

Can anyone help me with making a raked design on a bead? I have melted stringer into the bead and then tried to gently drag a metal tool down the stringers - the only problem is the bead came with the tool, so it keeps ending up a real mess.

*rowanberry*

Sound like you got your tool too hot, if its hot it will stick to the glass.
If possible, use Tungsten or brass to rake - these shouldnt stick (the tungsten may do if kept in the flame too much, the brass wont). If you have a stainless steel tool, this will be a lot harder to use.

My big rakey beads, I do them out of the flame and got much better control.

Beadysams brass pokey tools are excellent for raking I found!
Claire

littlegiggles

I found that I was heating the whole bead not just the bit I was raking... let the whole thing harden then just spot heat the bit you want to rake... the main bead stays still that way...

plus wot claire said

beadysam

Have you tried raking with a stringer?  Its a much gentler way of doing it than with a tool...

Buzzybead

Never thought of raking with a stringer - great idea. I may have been getting the whole bead too hot, so it all came a long for a ride. I'm going to give it all another go tonight and tomorrow! Why does it always take me soooo long to learn new techniques ???

bubblefizz

hey  Sam great tip, never thought of that!

Isabelle

And gently, gently! Took me ages to learn not to dig it in!!!

Buzzybead

okay - spot heat,stringer,gently-gently, flash. Good - I need to say little chants to myself when I'm learning new things, otherwise I end up getting into glassy tangles!

Isabelle

i thought I was the only one who chanted!!

Buzzybead

Nooo! - mine have to have a rhythm to them. I favour a syncopated beat  ;D

Isabelle

I'm worse than that - when I have to do something nerve-wracking, I chant, don't think, just do!!