Midrange or minor torch?

Started by LittleHen, June 26, 2007, 02:31:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LittleHen

I wrote out a list of other tools I'd need please add anything to it to help me with my initial costings...

Kiln - Paragon SC-3 already bought - coming end of the month
Oxycon x2
Torch- I'm going to get the mid range for flexibility
extraction unit - a quiet one!
workbench
shelving/storage
creation station - opinions welcome on if it's any good
safety glasses - need prescription ones
bead presses - heart and lentil
mandrels
bead release
glass
frit

Thanks to everyone for all the input. 

Got two young kids already so I'm not going to be pregnant for a while - I need far more time to myself hence the workshop... but at least all the ventilation will be set up if my family gets bigger....

Cheers,
jessie

glassworks

looks fully stocked to me!..

i wouls add a plate of steel sheet or a graphite tile as they are SOOO useful to have next to the torch to marver things, put things down on, spread frit on etc etc...

;) ;D

Billie

Quote from: LittleHen on June 27, 2007, 02:05:25 PM
I wrote out a list of other tools I'd need please add anything to it to help me with my initial costings...

Kiln - Paragon SC-3 already bought - coming end of the month
Oxycon x2
Torch- I'm going to get the mid range for flexibility
extraction unit - a quiet one!
workbench
shelving/storage
creation station - opinions welcome on if it's any good
safety glasses - need prescription ones
bead presses - heart and lentil
mandrels
bead release
glass
frit

Thanks to everyone for all the input. 

Got two young kids already so I'm not going to be pregnant for a while - I need far more time to myself hence the workshop... but at least all the ventilation will be set up if my family gets bigger....

Cheers,
jessie

The creation station is very good.  I got mine from Les.

I'd also recommend some brass tools from BeadySam as a good idea.  Also a marver.  I have a graphite one and a loren stump brass one.  I use the loren stump one all the time, and lay out frit or foil on the graphite one. (I got the loren stump one from Jim at Bluemoon) Quinton sells the graphite ones.  Torch mounted ones are a good idea too... Depends what you want to shell out for initially.  Tools you can build up over time.

And I forgot to say rake, and a plunger for holes... which you can get from Martin at Tuffnells.

Shirley

I would get a rod rest of some sort. You can make your own too. I made one with some metal grille from B+Q and  really cheap ceramic tile. You can use the rest of the grille to make rests for mandrels in the kiln. A couple of pairs of pliers - long nose for pulling stringers, general ones for gripping mandrels when pulling beads off. Oh, and a pyrex-type bowl with water in it for getting bits of glass off your metal tools.
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver