Silver wire to melt on bead surface.

Started by Clare Scott, June 26, 2007, 07:46:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clare Scott

Hullo!

Could you lovely people give me any tips on using silver wire to melt on the surface of beads?
I`ve seen some lovely beads with fine wire melted around.

I guess it needs to be sterling or solid silver?
Does it need to be treated pre or post heat?
I`ve seen 20 - 26G...any idea on size?

(I have a rough idea how thick the wire is as needles at work have a similar scale i.e 24G rabbit 22G cat, 20G dog, 18G cow...etc!! haha!!)

Thankyou
Clare :)

(P.S I am now the proud owner of a Minor and an Oxycon - best thing ever!!)

Les

It needs to be fine silver... it has a much higher purity than sterling does...sterling will leave a dirty stain on the bead after annealing...

As to thickness..... i prefer the thinner stuff as it's easy to anchor onto the bead and wrap around it..

HTH

Isabelle

What Les said!
Sounds like you work in the same place as I do!

Les

Clare Scott

Thankyou thankyou...

Isabelle...I`m a VN. Are you a vetty type too?! :)

Shirley

It's worth having a play with silver frit too. :)
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

Fired Silver

Hi

I've used wires.co.uk before and they've always been good and reasonably priced.

Silver frit looks lovely on beads - must try it soon!

Rebecca
;D

Clare Scott

Never heard of silver frit. Have I been in a cave? :)

Where is it to be found?

Pics...I want to see some pics!

C :)

Fired Silver

There was a topic on here somewhere - can't remember where, I think it was in "Other Competitions" Petra from Silver Clay gave away some fine silver frit and people who got it put their piccies up!

I'm a metal clay artist, just getting into lampwork so my beads aren't good enough to use fine silver yet!!  Just like drooling over everyone else's stuff!

Shirley

I got some from Petra - it's quite useful stuff and a little goes a long way. I think her website is silverclay.co.uk.
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

Buzzybead

Quote from: craftyclare on June 26, 2007, 11:43:25 AM
Thankyou thankyou...

Isabelle...I`m a VN. Are you a vetty type too?! :)

Our Issy is a superdooper lemon squeezy VN (and a pretty good lampworker too ;))

Isabelle

LOL!! I'm a TSF - a tormentor of small furries!!

Clare Scott

Haha! I`m a locum...very part time due to my new obsession!!
Beats cleaning out kennels and all the other yucky stuff I trained so hard for!!

:)

Buzzybead

Do you do pussy cats? I mean make pussy cat faces? I love their plumptiuosness: oh yeah!

Isabelle

yeah, I'm part-time too - but in a really small branch surgery of a larger practice - just me and a vet- so I'm receptionist, nurse, cleaner- everything except the vet!!!
Pussy cat faces sounds like fun!! Like my avatar - that's Tiggy, my oldest.There are 3 others!