Main Menu

Enamels and boro

Started by garishglobes, April 20, 2011, 01:35:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garishglobes

I'm thinking of getting a couple of these:

http://www.warm-glass.co.uk/iron-red-heraeus-enamel-50g-p-2300.html

I've just spoken to them and they say that the enamels work fine with Bullseye, but they also said that they fuse at about 800C. Looking on Northstar's website, boro softens at 820C! So I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with these and whether I'm missing something?  ???

Hotglass28

I have 4 colours of the heraeus enamel. I think I have red. White, black and green.

Would you like me to send out a litle bit for you to try out before spending loads?

got them at Warmglass too, so they are the same ones.

Give me a shout and I will send out some when I get down to the post office this week.

Denise
www.facebook.com/pages/The-Owl-Goes-Hoot/567182803365298
www.etsy.com/uk/shop/TheOwlGoesHoot?ref=l2-shopheader-name

garishglobes

Denise, that'd be wonderful!  :) I'll send you a pm  :)

Steampunkglass

When I first started with boro I didn't have many colours so I tried mixing some thompson enamels into clear - not good. It went very brittle and the stringer I made started splitting at the end like split ends on hair then fell apart. However I don't know what it would be like on the surface, it might be worth a try to see what happens

garishglobes

They do say that these enamels are suitable for all glass types, and I would definitely be using them on the surface.. I'm just not sure about the temps involved and would love any tips from anyone who had given them a try.

JKC

I had a search for boro and enamels a while back, but couldn't find any info.

Chameleon

I havent tried the heraeus ones but i can confirm that even on the surface thompson enamels meant for 104 glass are not compatible with boro .... it makes the surface kind of crackle and flake away (i tried it for edges of xmas decorations, was actually very pretty but not at all stable  :D )

awrylemming

I have the blue if you'd like to try a bit of that too ...?