Thoughts on moving up on torches

Started by fionaess, April 10, 2011, 01:41:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fionaess

I've just moved up torches, from a Bobcat on 2 oxycons to a Scorpion on the same 2 5 litre oxycons.
I was concerned that I had made a wrong move and should have stayed with my Bobcat, after all what difference would a cricket inner and a big flame outer actually make, surely my inner flame would be downgraded.
Well, here are some of my thoughts on actually using the Scorpion..
GTT have done something with the innards of this torch so that it makes maximum use from minimum oxygen, Im finding that I can get far better colours from boro and that striking is 100% better - double amber purple is just one example, white encased with DAP is now shades of pinks, purples and magentas, for the first time ever.
This torch is hot, hot, hot, even with a tiny outer flame.
Its easy to use, very responsive and the ability to have a big bushy flame and a tiny pinpoint hot flame in one torch is wonderful.
It was expensive (eek) but I see the Scorpion as my forever torch, the reasons being that I dont want to/cant afford to go down the tanked oxygen route, which is currently the only way to get a bigger flame and more oxygen.  Its a combination and balance of these two elements which make coloured boro work, IMHO

If it's got a hole, it's a bead !

sarah t

i am resisting the temptation to go down the boro route .......but some of the colours are just yummy ...dont go there sarah !

Stacy

Couldn't agree with you more Fi. I was converted the second I turned mine on!  ;D

garishglobes

:) :)
I think the other thing that is wonderful about the Scorpion is that the outer flame is relatively oxygen-rich. It isn't bushy, hot but reducing, it is bushy, hot and neutral/oxidising.

mrumruglass

Thank you Fiona for your post. I have been thinking about upgrading my poor, absolutely exhausted MiniCC, which I totally love.
I make large boro beads and with experience the need for speed is raising....
I have two oxycons 5L each and it is fine for smaller boros, but large rounds just under 1inch dia take very long time to shape with encasement on. Will seriously need to start putting some money aside or work a few Sundays ??? The price is... well, lets put it this way: if it can save me several hours per week, then it is worth the money. Would love to try it first to make sure.

JKC

fionaess

Quote from: mrumruglass on May 13, 2011, 06:03:21 PM
if it can save me several hours per week, then it is worth the money. Would love to try it first to make sure.

The scorpion can do that - guaranteed   ;D

Pat from Canvey

Does Martin supply the scorpion to order?

fionaess

They are available on order or sometimes off the shelf from GTT in the USA, Tuffnells and a couple of places in Germany and I 'think' that Christina from Frit and Glas can get hold of them.  ;D