Dichroic stringers

Started by Aurorabelfast, March 27, 2011, 01:33:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aurorabelfast

Hi, am having an issue with these at the moment, they are only tiny at 1mm. I'm wondering if these are just designed for lamp working and not fusing because when I try to include these between glass they seem to loose there colours/coating. They end up just looking like clear stringers have been embedded. Know it's not temp of kiln as the pieces have other dichro glass in them and the coating stays fine on those, just the little stringers it disappears on. All dichro glass and stringers are CBS

Any advice or knowledge would be appreciated   ???
Nicola x
Nic x

Lucas

I got some and did the same thing and, as you said, lost them completely after fusing!  The next time I was really really careful about the exact angle I put it on, made sure I could see the colour, then fused and could see it after fusing, if I looked closely! I think that they are so tiny that they may lend themselves to beads rather than fusing, just cos there's usually greater surface area on fused stuff.  I got something else that worked well though, vis ebay.  I'm useless at posting links etc, but if on ebay you find a shop called 'glass studio supplies' they sell 'sizzlesticks', which are kind of flattened out and (from memory - always dangerous!) I think they have them 3mm wide or 6mm wide - they are much more spottable on a fused glass piece, if you know what I mean.  Hope that helps!  Let me know how you get on, and if you find another way to use the stringers - I have some which on principle I don't want to get rid of, but don't really know what to do with them!
Lucas

Aurorabelfast

Thanks Lucas, I know I'm the same, don't want to get rid off them just incase lol. I know the swizzlestick things your talking about, think warm glass sells them too and they come on black or clear? I'll maybe give those a go but will keep trying a few things with the stringers and will let you know if I have any luck  :)
Nic x

Mand

If you contact "helenfc" on here, she may be able to answer your questions as I know she made some dichro twisties and did some stunning stuff with dichro (-I think including stringers?) ;)

Aurorabelfast

Thanks Mand, your a star! xx
Nic x