Reducing - propane up or oxy down?

Started by Amber, March 07, 2011, 12:56:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amber

So I guess it doesn't matter, as long as I do one or the other  :D Thanks for the input!

Kay24

I'm on a bobcat too and can't do alot with silver glass, psyche hates me with a passion, funny though on my hothead it was the only one I got to work well, typical!!

swurlgurl

When I was using a Hothead, I rolled aluminum foil into a 1inch wide "ribbon" by folding it numerous times. I made it about 3 inches longer than the diameter of the torch. I wrapped it around leaving about an inch handle on each side and twisted them to make a handle. Don't wrap it too tightly or you wont be able to move it up and down. When you want to get a reduction flame, you simply pull the foil up over the air holes on the side. when you want to go back to a neutral flame, pull it down off of the air vents. 
pay it forward, do unto others, judge ye not and just be nice!

turnedlight

I'm on a minor and I go both ways :), I try propane up, because if the reaction is quicker it seems less likely to over reduce and go grey, but if I'm not happy with it I'll try the other way!
I also don't always wait for the bead to cool with some silver glass, especially with triton I get 'the shiny' better if the bead is still glowing visibly above the desk.
kathryn