Main Menu

Enamels

Started by Hotglass28, February 27, 2011, 10:48:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hotglass28

What is the most common enamel that lampworkers use. Is it Thompson?   I might have a play with some gaffer powder, not sure if someone told me that someone was using gaffer for enamels. Memory is bad as per usual  >:(  I might of seen it on a dvd about a guy who makes birds and rolls them in furnace glass.   ???

And what was those little enamel tubes which Martin used to sell? He hasn't got them on his webby anymore.

Anyone know?

Just a little interested for future reference.

Denise
www.facebook.com/pages/The-Owl-Goes-Hoot/567182803365298
www.etsy.com/uk/shop/TheOwlGoesHoot?ref=l2-shopheader-name

Ilona

I was also looking for those little tubes too ::)

Les

Mine are Thompson. They are great ... I got mine ages ago from the States  :)
I haven't used any other brand or type, so I can't comment on gaffer .. sorry.
I think it was Thompson that Martin used to sell ... can't be 100% certain though :)

awrylemming

Has he stopped selling them then?  Bum, I need to top up a couple of colours  :(

Les

I don't know, sorry Sue, I've never bought them from Martin, I'm still using my U.S stash up.

★★Terri★★

Try W G Ball - I use to get enamel powders from them when I used them for ceramics years ago.  They were very good and really helpful.

http://www.wgball.com/jewellery-enamels.htm

♥♥Tan♥♥

Just a word of warning, I have some wgball enamels from my enamelling days and some of them aren't compatible with 104 it either cracks the bead or cracks off afterwards.

Kalorlo

Yup, Martin's were Thompson. Might be worth asking him, because he had loads before!

Redkite

I've used Thompson's enamels from Martin (they reappear on the site every so often: I don't think there is a particularly steady supply!)
I've also used enamels from Cooksons - sorry, not sure what make, but they have worked fine on Effetre and I believe you can now buy individual colours, rather than a selection box:
http://www.cooksongold.com/category_select.jsp?query=Vitreous+Lead+Free+Enamels&queryFromSuggest=true

Hotglass28

Thanks for the info everyone.

Is it me, or are enamel's really expensive?  I can buy 500g of powder glass for about £4-10. in loads of different colours.

okey dokey, off to play.

Denise

www.facebook.com/pages/The-Owl-Goes-Hoot/567182803365298
www.etsy.com/uk/shop/TheOwlGoesHoot?ref=l2-shopheader-name

Mand

Emma at Tuffers sent me some enamel recently - in a little tube, it's a pinky purple, a beautiful shade.  Very impressed with it so far. ;D

kathsd

Thanks for the info Redkite I have some enamels from Cooksongold and had been debating using them with my glass, now I know that I  should be ok I feel a bit more encouraged to do it!
kath

Ilona

I bought some of the tubes from Tuffnels today at the bead fair, and told them that they weren't on the site. They thought they were so the might be back on soon.

greenbeadenvy

the enamels are in stock but we are waiting for the tubes to come in  :) :)
Emma xx