Mini Milon. Experience?

Started by Hotglass28, February 23, 2011, 02:47:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hotglass28

Has anyone used one and what are your opinion's on this torch?

I'm looking for a torch that will give a pin point flame for detailed work. Bit confused as to whether this torch is for that purpose after reading the blurb on it.  ???

Cheers

Denise

www.facebook.com/pages/The-Owl-Goes-Hoot/567182803365298
www.etsy.com/uk/shop/TheOwlGoesHoot?ref=l2-shopheader-name

♥♥Tan♥♥

I have no idea either but Stacy might be the girl to ask about handheld torches?

Hotglass28

Hi Tan, I might pester her later if she doesn't see this post. Thank you :)

Not sure if I'm confusing Milon for Loren Stump in what type of work Milon does. But I'm def after a pin point flame, but not handheld.

Denise

♥♥Tan♥♥

Hotglass28

yep, Ive gooked at LE too about the mini and googled but unless I'm skipping word's and not reading propely I'm non the wiser if this is a detail work torch. I assume it is because of the sigle hole tip that comes with it, but not 100%

Even the PDF from Nortel doesnt really say much about this torch  :-\

♥♥Tan♥♥

It is like the national and has interchangeable tips so you can vary the diameter of them. What do you want to do with it, is it just for the odd bit of fine work or do you want this as your main working torch?

Hotglass28

I want an additional torch that I use just for fine work. Maybe sat next to my main torch and light when I want to use it. I'm on a minor which I have no probelms with, apart from getting a small flame.

I just digged into it a bit more and yes, like you said the torch is like the national (3a), so I guess it's going to be too hot for soda glass.

Hummm, might need another torch then?  or maybe I should wait till my sculptural class at the flame off.  I think he would cover that ;)   (walking before running, walking before running, remember Denise  ::))

Thank's Tan for helping me.   ;D

x

hollergrafik

Denise my mini CC goes down to a pinpoint flame, I will show you tomorrow.

♥♥Tan♥♥

If it helps I started on a Saphyre torch, that has several tips and is meant for welding, something like that might do you?

Stacy

I did quite a bit of research on this when I was looking at making flowers with stamens and my minor torch's flame was simply to big at its smallest point to attach the stamens inside the glass flowers without melting them (either that or my skills weren't upto much which is a large possibility. )

I guess the first thing I would ask myself is exactly what I wanted it for. I'm assuming that your wanting to do sculptural work but are you thinking of going very large or creating pieces with awkward areas? If this is the case I think a handheld would be great as I feel they are easier to get to areas which might prove difficult if your moving the glass around.
Of course a huge downside of a handheld is the holding part. This only gives you one hand to work with!

If your thinking of doing smaller work which is easy to manoeuvre I would suggest thinking about a different torch altogether. There are many on the market which can go from small pinpoint flames to larger flames. My scorpion can do this with ease and I've heard the other GTTs can too.

Having said that if it were me I would wait for the Flame Off course. Not only will you have the other torches to test out and get a real feel of them but I'm betting when you've finished your course your mind will be full of different ideas which you might find take you in a completely different direction!

That's all a bit rambled and i'm sorry im not able to string a sentence together very well at the moment... i'm soooo tired!!  ::)

ohhh... another thing I have just thought is... remember if your going to set up another torch alongside your current whether its a bench mount of handheld you will have to provide it with oxy and propane. That's going to need either a whole new setup or Y thingys and stuff which (I believe?) takes away pressure from one or something like that! arrggghhhh I hate it when I can't explain things properly!!!
;D

just thought.... sorry if Im talking like your eating old eggs or anything!!  :-[

Hotglass28

Thank you Stacy for your post.  Don't worry about sucking eggs thingie. I'm not a sensitive person  ;)

Righty.... had a play on Kay's torch (thank you Kay  :-*) and I think it's going to be a mini CC. I need to wait till after flame off I think, but a minor will be for sale shortly after a order to Frantz for for Birthday pressie's.. yay.

Thank you all for the help in this.

xx