2nd Oxycon vs upgrade torch

Started by JaySpangles, February 22, 2011, 12:48:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JaySpangles

My situation is that I am a slow and careful worker, but I am also frustrated.
I work on a minor and oxycon.  My oxycon works at 3.5 to 4.00, after that it beeps frantically at me.  I am going to take him to his daddy to have him checked out, but it has got me wondering...

I would like to have more heat so that I can do the basic build ups faster, then I am quite happy to do the decorative bit in slower time.  I feel this would speed up my production somewhat, and allow me to explore further afield, and render me less frustrated!

With this in mind, do you think I would be better off buying a second oxycon to beef up my minor, or should I change to a hotter torch, Mega minor, Carlisle Mini CC or Bobcat, or should I go the whole hog and get a Lynx and another oxycon.
I admit that the thought of having a tight focused flame for detail work does appeal, but it is not a matter of life or death in this stage of my torching career. I don't make huge beads (it takes me too long) and at this stage I am not bothered about boro - when then is so much to explore in soft glass, but I would never say no to the future.

I wondered what you more experienced torchees feel, particularly those who have experience of working a minor with two oxycons?
Thanks in anticipation.

MadelineBunyan

I cant answer your comparison question, but I'm watching with interest, I'm thinking of extending my set up somewhat.(ideally a midrange with minor top, 2 oxys, plus bobcat, one each or switch to both oxys for midrange)

I will say this, I work on a bobcat, and my one oxycon is rather old and tending towards wheezy, doubt it ever goes much above 4, but I don't do slow, I melt pretty quick and work fairly fast, big beads don't bother me on the bobcat.

the only minor I ever worked on was on tanked and I hated it, burnt the snot out of everything, think it might have been the settings the college had it at though.

Lush!

I'd say consider swapping your Minor for a Bobcat, it should be fine with a wheezy oxycon.

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

♥♥Tan♥♥

I picked up a midrange and two oxycons fairly cheaply on ebay. I have both oxys wired to the midrange but usually just work with one oxy and the minor top even for boro and large soft glass sculpture I find this enough.

For larger, denser pieces say one and a half inch marbles or big lentils I pop the second oxy on just for speed. I rarely use the midrange torch but when I do I am glad of it.

I don't need a tight flame for detail work because I have learnt over the years how to use different parts of the flame to do what I need, the only time I wish for a needlepoint is when I am joining very fine pieces.

sarah t

i think you will be surprised the difference a happy oxycon will make .........mine has just come back from his holiday in yorkshire  ;)

i get enough heat from my minor  but a bit more control over bushy and pin point would be nice ...but would like tan have got used to where does what in the flame .....

puffin

You must have been reading my thoughts as I have been feeling frustrated for some time . I had a go on the lynx and fell in love but Kaz suggested buy the 2nd oxy to try with the minor first then have a go at the flame off with the torches and then decide.

I am glad I was not the only one feeling this way .
Stacey

A Little Love Goes A Long Way

www.sillymooz.blogspot.com

Nick

Hi,

I would agree with Tan having the same setup. Two oxycons into one torch is great but again usually only use the one. I alternate oxycons for each session. Also use them with a propane/oxy jewellers micro torch which works great. Never tried the micro torch on glass though.
Hope this helps

stuwaudby

I have two oxycons, a minor and a midrange / minor top. Adding another oxycon to a minor make a big difference. I often fire the second one up to speed up forming medium / large beads. I even use minor + 2 oxy's for boro. I rarely use the midrange unless working one something very big that needs even heat over the surface.

My ideal set up would be a mega minor + 2 Oxy's, Cant justify it at the moment though.

puffin

This is good to know . It makes sense trying with a 2nd oxy before buying a new torch .

It also help to know what other people use as well.
Stacey

A Little Love Goes A Long Way

www.sillymooz.blogspot.com

Lyn G

If you use two oxycons, do you get a more oxygenating flame?

sarah t

in theory yes lyn but you can compensate with more gas to get the balance therefore giving you more poke ....this is what i assume anyway  :D

liquidglass

I definitely need another oxycon!!