Unusual lampworking tools.

Started by ♥♥Tan♥♥, February 19, 2011, 07:04:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SilverGems89

Quote from: Tan on February 20, 2011, 12:15:18 PM
Any pics Gemma?
I'll snap one in a bit Tan, i'm currently covered in hair dye  ;D

jammie

Pat, does the marble work the same as graphite, I was considering getting a graphite tile but this would be cheaper.

i like my little crowbar from mandabeads best.

http://www.mangobeads.co.uk/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=5&category_id=27&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

Blue Kiln Beads

Thanks Jammie, that's brilliant.  I was just about to chip in and tell everyone about this fab tool I used when I had some tuition with Lorna.  It wasn't one of Manda's, it was a homemade version made by a friend of Lorna's but it did the same job as Manda's tool.  I have been thinking about how I could get dad to make something similar but for £6 I think I'll take the plunge and get one of Manda's.
Yvette Goodridge
www.bluekilnbeads.blogspot.com
www.bluekilnbeads.etsy.com

firedinglass

I Like the look of this but how do you use it ?  Is it any different to an ormal kind of pokey shaper thing?   :-\

www.facebook.com/firedinglass
http://www.etsy.com/shop/firedinglass
Lisa

Pat from Canvey

Quote from: jammie on February 20, 2011, 06:12:08 PM
Pat, does the marble work the same as graphite, I was considering getting a graphite tile but this would be cheaper.

Seems to.

jammie

Lisa, I use it for patting murrini, shaping ends, as a teeny marver, all sorts really.  :)

GlassOcean

I use an IKEA spoon for barrels, a cake slice as a marver and I made my own key mandrel from a bent mandrel (I have a few  ::) ) and 24pence worth of washers, nuts and bolts from the local hardware shop!  It works a treat!!!

Steampunkglass

Quote from: fionaess on February 20, 2011, 12:32:00 PM
Im really lusting after a graphite reamer - any idea of prices on those Tan?

Off Mandrel have them in a couple of different sizes!  ;D http://off-mandrel.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=115_116

fionaess

Thanks Glenn... expensive tho' - I wonder if I could adapt on of their graphite rods..... any suggestions as to how from anyone?

If it's got a hole, it's a bead !

♥♥Tan♥♥

Quote from: jammie on February 20, 2011, 06:12:08 PM

i like my little crowbar from mandabeads best.

http://www.mangobeads.co.uk/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=5&category_id=27&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

It will Jean and lasts for aaaages.

TheJanie

I bought one of those artist's all-graphite pencils and peeled the covering off and it works nicely for various shapings and pokings :)

Steampunkglass

Quote from: fionaess on February 21, 2011, 04:30:12 PM
Thanks Glenn... expensive tho' - I wonder if I could adapt on of their graphite rods..... any suggestions as to how from anyone?
You could always get a plain rod and grind down the edges. I got one of the small rods a while back and ground the end down to a cone. Took ages though, I used a drill with a grinding stone attached and even that must have taken 20mins to get it right, and that was quite a thin stick.

fionaess

Quote from: TheJanie on February 21, 2011, 05:37:54 PM
I bought one of those artist's all-graphite pencils and peeled the covering off and it works nicely for various shapings and pokings :)

oooohhhhh... off to Fleabay to have a looksee.... ;D

If it's got a hole, it's a bead !

TheJanie

Quote from: fionaess on February 21, 2011, 05:42:42 PM
Quote from: TheJanie on February 21, 2011, 05:37:54 PM

oooohhhhh... off to Fleabay to have a looksee.... ;D

IIRC eBay wasn't the cheapest place but I can't remember where I found the one I ended up with! :-\

Pat from Canvey

I got graphite rods from that cheapo bookstore (not online) whose name I can't remember. They have a section for artist tools etc.