What size mandrels do I need?

Started by Blue Box Studio, January 26, 2011, 05:38:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Box Studio

I hope I've put this in the best/right place!  My boss is leaving shortly and collects either Pandora or Troll beads, not sure which, having to be a bit discreet not to give the game away, and I'd like to make her some beads for her collection.  Depending which sort she has, what size mandrels do I need?  I have some 3.2mm but suspect I might need 5mm?  I think I read somewhere that each of the brands has a different hole diameter?  I don't have any sort of bracelet, not my thing, but know someone will have the answer.

Thanks,
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

Lush!

If you want to leave them uncored, but make sure they fit Pandora (bigger than Trollbeads), you need 4mm.

If you're coring or riveting, you'll need bigger.  Palmers 5mm rivets fit 5mm mandrels - and the beads will fit Pandora.

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

Blue Box Studio

How about Troll beads - I think she has the cheaper of the 2 ranges; not sure I want to ask 'did you pay a lot for those?'!  Are Troll bead holes smaller?
Sue

turnedlight

I have a proper Troll bracelet but only my own glass beads on. I make them all on a 5mm mandrel. Most are cored with rivets, some I have just left uncored. If you do use Palmers, the thinner ones are pretty insubstantial, although they do the job, there's not much area for the glue to hold them in. I buy mine from Allbeads4you and they are much nicer but I think Palmers now do a heavier weight choice too..
kathryn

Lush!

That's useful info about the rivets  ;)

Uncored beads on 3.2mm mandrels will fit Trollbeads - yes, they are thinner than a Pandora bracelet.

turnedlight

Yes, I know more than I ought about the rivets - I should be coring mine with tubing, I've only had the contraption for about 18 months!Lol! I never had any problem with taking the plunge and using torches and kilns etc but for some reason I'm totally daunted by doing the coring.. ::)
kathryn

Lush!

Kathryn, I haven't cored a bead for absolutely ages - my success rate just couldn't justify the work involved (ie I'm too lazy!) - but a friend has convinced me to give rivets a go.  I glued a couple in today and I'm really pleased with the look, for a fraction of the cost and effort!  I'll be checking out Allbeads4you.  ;)

Magpie

Have you seen the bracelet? If it's either Pandora or Troll you should be able to figure out which it is. Pandora clasps are generally round short tube bead shaped clips so when closed they just look like a silver bead on the chain. The Troll ones, you get the chain and then choose your clasp and they're generally fancy decorated oversized lobster clasp types (and much prettier, IMHO).
If you've not seen it, maybe you could start a conversation along the lines of 'what type of bracelet do you have? I've heard the troll ones have fancy clasps and......'

Hope that helps.

Blue Box Studio

Thanks everyone.  Now I know what sneaky questions to ask!  She doesn't often wear it to work so not really had a chance to look at it closely. I guess this is what you might call a riveting topic  ::)
Sue

Blue Box Studio

OK, hopefuly my last silly question of the day - whether I buy from Palmer or Allbeads4you, presuably '1' means 1 pair seeing beads have 2 sides?  And with Allbeads4you, do you buy the 'normal' size for 5mm mandrels, or small or large?  The Allbeads4you ones look nicer, might be cheaper depending what the euro is doing.

Sue

Magpie

No, if you buy from palmer 1 means 1, 2 means 1 pair, 100 is 50 pairs. Don't know about the other place though.

Blue Box Studio

Thanks.  Whatever use is just one?
Sue