Propane and rental properties

Started by Amber, January 11, 2011, 02:08:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amber

I know quite a lot has been said about the issues around keeping propane bottles, but I've started a new thread because most of the others I've read seem to be about storing propane inside.

We rent and previous landlords have known about the propane and been fine with it, but we've just moved house and our new landlady has expressed concerns about the propane being on the premises, even though it would be kept outside. She wants to know how dangerous it is and how it will affect her buildings insurance. If you own your home it is obviously up to you what you do with it, but if it belongs to someone else you have to respect their feelings on the matter!  :-\ And obviously I want to carry on making beads, so...

I've read through loads of safety info, but I think what I'd like to know is your experiences of torching in rental properties and whether keeping propane outside affects your buildings or contents insurance.

Thanks!

liquidglass

I had my insurance guy round the other day purely to ask about this, as I am torching in the back room. I own the property but I needed to know that I would be covered if there was a problem. He couldn't see a problem because people cook and have calor or propane heating. I store the propane in the garage when I'm not torching. This was only the contents insurance, I've not approached the buildings insurance people, but I have got to phone them as I have a query on something else, so I will ask at the same time.
Don't know if I've helped or not ???
Hope so :)

jammie

I rent too. I fessed up to my landlady when she was round to get something fixed and she said she would ask her insurance people if it would change her policy and I said if it did then we would pay the extra to her. She didn't seem too worried about the safety aspect, I said the floors concrete anyway , that I have a fire extinguisher and that I am careful as I obviously dont want to blow myself or anyone else up. I have mine inside but could put it outside if I needed to. I did read here that firemen wont enter the premises if propane is stored inside and I did mention that to her. I'm not sure if shes checked her insurance yet. There is an insurance company insures flameworkers, again this was found on here, and I mentioned this to my landlady too.
She's very good, fair and did say well it is your business and you need to be able to work!
I think it depends very much on the landlady/landlord. Maybe have a search here and pick out a couple of different points/sides about safety issues and get in touch with the flameworkers ins company, sorry i cant remember or find the name, then give her a kind of report on your findings saying you will obviously do everything you can to keep her house safe. She sounds undecided so you may be be able to move her towards the right decision .
Dont know if any of that helps,  :) Good luck with it though.

ScarletLeonard

I rent from the local council and checked the tenancy and it is in that I can have up to 20kg stored inside the property, probably to cover a calor heaters and gas powered cookers since we don't have piped gas but I checked with my housing officer and I was fine and covered by the buildings insurance that the council provides.

I think calor have health and safety documents on their site may be worth printing those out for your landlady and just making sure that your set up complies to the letter.