Spare pair of Diddys?

Started by Lotti, January 05, 2011, 04:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lotti

OK, so now my studio is set up everyone wants to come and watch!  I told my OH that he at least needed to wear a pair of sunglasses but they really aren't proper.  What do other folks do, if people want to come and watch do you have a spare pair of diddys?  My OH also wants me to show him what to do, so I suppose we will need two pairs so that I can wear mine while I show him and then he needs a pair!  I also have a friend with two little girls who want to watch but I have said no to this, is this being unfair, I just don't think it is a spectator sport for small kids with all the hot stuff about.

MadelineBunyan

yup, I have spare pairs.

I havn't been asked if small children can watch me yet, but my excuse is that I work in a basement workshop, which I share with someone else, and there isn't room, its not practical for people other than people I know well enough to watch me. (I do have a small fan who is about 7, who will probably want to watch me one day with her sister, but she is very shy!)

another thing I do if people want to see, is I have a video I made to show at craft fairs, this seems to do for smaller people!

lots of people have said 'oh Id love to watch you sometime' to which I say nothing much,I certainly don't invite them in! if they seem too keen and they need putting off I can go into the oh its not very practical etc etc. and offer to show then the video if theyre that interested.

on the small children issue, I don't think you're being unfair at all. especially if you don't have enough safety equipment for one let alone both of them.

these things all said, I'm getting a new studio which may well be possible to have visitors in (that's the theory, one day I'd like to teach in it!)

Lotti

Thanks Madeline.  I think if you have a 'proper' studio and are very experienced as you and so many other people on here are to be asked if folks can watch you is fair enough (I want to be able to watch as many of you experienced artists as I can!), but I have only had my own torch going for 3 days and am still finding my feet in a BIG way and will be for some time.  I would like to show my dearest how to do it as he is quite keen and has already put in orders for beads! :), so will see if I can get another pair of Diddy's or ask for another pair for my birthday; spent far to much on glass and equipment as it is at the moment!  I won't feel bad about saying no to my friend and hope she understands; might let her come when the kids are at school  and then she can see for herself that it isn't suitable. :)

MadelineBunyan

I'm used to having people watch me whether I like it or not, at college the studio was a huge open room with the lampwork torches at one end.there were always clear goggles lying all over the place so they could watch without being attacked by bit of glass, but they also had diddy screens on the three torch benches.

when I have the new studio small numbers of selected visitors will be welcome to come watch!

I think it would be good to get her to see, it would be even more unfair for you to say yeah, sure, come and watch me, without pointing out the safety things to their mum, she can always feed them the 'she hasn't got enough of the special goggles' line

I fully expect people to be interested in what I'm doing, its interesting, or I wouldn't be doing it! and I'd like to give them the opportunity to see, its just that right now I really can't (plus the space is a right mess!)