New desk - How to set up my torch?

Started by ShinySnail, December 18, 2010, 08:19:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShinySnail

Hi,
I know a few people on here have this desk, it's the stainless steel Ikea 'Udden'
Not really sure how to safely attach my torch, I'm considering putting a piece of non-slip matt inbetween the creation station and desk, then G-Clamping into place on either side...

Does anybody have any better ideas? I'm a sucker for health and safety!  ::)
While I'm here, does anybody use their creation station without the elbow rests?

Many thanks,
Anna

paintboxcrafts

Hi,
I have Udden units, and I have 2 clamps holding my creation station to the worktop. It is held very firmly. One day I will screw it down, but I keep rearranging things at the moment. I don't have anything between the creation station and the worktop.
I don't actually rest my elbows on the pads, but I find them useful as an extension on my worktop to rest tools on.
Cathy
www.paintboxcrafts.co.uk  www.paintboxcrafts.etsy.com

Sulis (Hazel)

Hi Anna,

I have the same work table. I've drilled holes in mine and screwed everything down. It's not difficult to drill with a standard drill, although I would recommend using the masking tape on the surface method (like drilling tiles) as the surface is a bit slippy. I made sure that the screws were not too long so they don't poke through too far underneath and stab me in the leg  ::)

I'm sure clamps would work just as well, I just didn't fancy them sticking out as I'm clumsy sometimes!

Hazel  x
Hazel x

awrylemming

I have a metal work surface, and have screwed mine down, also using the tape method! Like Cathy I've found the rests a useful extension to the table - I've got miles more space than I had before, yet seem to have used it up extremely quickly ::)  And now I've a permanent set up I'm nowhere near as good at keeping it tidy.

ShinySnail

Ohhh thanks everyone, it's good to know that you can drill through it...
May try the clamps to start off with and then go permenant once i'm sure it's in the right place

Yay!
  :)