Glass cutters - second question

Started by Grody, December 16, 2010, 05:14:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grody

Related to my first question, the glass cutter retailers (surprise, surprise) say that our cutters need replacing periodically. How can the performance of a cutter be measured/judged so that we know when replacing it would be a meaningful decision, rather than just an expensive one? Are there any standard tests or suchlike that can be carried out? The old brass type of cutter had replaceable tungsten wheels but that facility isn't good for (their) business is it?

Come on then you rabble, do your worst with this one as well!

awrylemming

Quote from: Grody on December 16, 2010, 05:14:46 PM

Come on then you rabble, do your worst with this one as well!

I'm innocent and therefore distancing myself from the hoi polloi  ::)  But I shall watch with amusement  ;D

MadelineBunyan

firstly, they don't 'wear out' quickly, mums been using hers for at least five years, and if someone gave her a new one, she'd be upset, because to her its like a well worn in pen nib.

and also, if an ordinary cutter costs about £15 - £20, and lasts you 5 years, then its not really expensive at all.

I have a friend who used to make wedding dresses. and she used very expensive dressmaking scissors. as soon as they started to snag whilst cutting silk, they got downgraded to a less delicate fabric.

so I guess its probably similar for glass, when it no longer gives you a good cut, then its time to do something about it. but the chances are you'll have got every bit of your moneys worth out of it by then.

I haven't heard of any specific 'tests'.

garishglobes

I have wheelie nippers for murrini and move them round to a sharper bit when the murrini edges look jagged. They seem to get to a point where they just cut less well. The wheels are replaceable if I ever need to.

I do that with sewing scissors too, my favourite pair are now paper scissors. You can get scissor sharpeners, but after the kids used them for things they really weren't ever intended to cut, they didn't sharpen well.

Galloway Beads

www.gallowaybeads.co.uk
My Etsy http://www.etsy.com/shop/Gallowaybeads

AnnaSpanna

The glass cutters we use in architectural and kiln glass at uni are all very well used and thoroughly battered by students and our tutor was saying during our induction back in sept that they last bought new ones more than a few years ago and they are tough as old boots provided you don't drop them too often from a great height too often. I guess when they stop putting in a strong enough score into the glass without excessive pressure is when they need replacing - it can only be due to damage to the tungsten wheel - I imagine actual wear on a tungsten bit takes slightly longer than one may imagine.

Hope this thread doesn't quite descend to the same sticky depths as the last one!

julieHB

It's the same with any tool - use it properly, look after it, and it'll last you a long time!  :)
Julie xx

My Webbie - My Flickr

ARBeads

Somebody mentioned sticky mmmmm Toffee  - Sorry  8)
Ruth & Andy

www.etsy.com/shop/arjewellery for beads!