Beginners workshop essentials

Started by NRichards, November 28, 2010, 02:44:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NRichards

Hello,

I have finally ordered my first kiln. The Paragon Fusion 16 arrives in mid December. I was just wondering what people would recommend for a beginners studio (tools and accessories) so that I can make sure I'm good to go when the kiln arrives.

I already have a grinder and grozing pliers. I do have a glass cutter which I got second hand but I'm tempted to get a new one and I have a load of second hand glass.

During my glass fusing course we used fibre glass and different wires, where is a good place to source this stuff, I couldn't find it on Warm Glass?

Also, am I correct in thinking that the 1lb of glass separator that comes with the kiln is the same as Kiln Wash? If so I guess I shouldn't get this straight away.

Thanks

Naomi

Zeldazog

Hi Naomi

Congrats on getting a kiln, I am sure you will have fun. 

In terms of what other equipment is essential, very little really - I do hope you have some safety glasses - ESSENTIAL.  A mat with some give, I use carpet samples but you can also use self healing cutting mats.

Useful but not essential:  A straight edge - not a plastic ruler, a metal or a thick wooden one is better.  Cut runners.  Some sort of glue - you can use fuser's glue, or watered down PVA, some people use lemonade, honey...

When you say wire - do you mean copper wire?  If so, easiest way to get that is to strip down an old cable.  Warm Glass sell silver wire.  You maybe mean Nichrome wire, I have been getting that from Ebay,.

Fibreglass?  Do you mean ceramic fibre paper - as used for 'kiln carving'?  Warm Glass do sell that.

Glass separator is indeed kiln wash.

I am sure I will think of other things useful/essential, but I have had a long day at a craft fair, brain is not functioning!

NRichards

Hi thanks for that, I do indeed have some safety glasses. I bought them when on my course as I was fed up with not being able to see through all the scratches on the ones at the college.

Thanks for the tip on copper wire, I wouldn't have thought of that.

Maybe fibre glass is the wrong word, somebody said they use it in cars, it was like very fine strands of something and hen trapped between glass looked lovely and gave a nice wispy effect!

Do you use anyone else other than Warm Glass?

Thanks

Zeldazog

Hmm, description sure sounds like fibre glass, never heard of it being used as an inclusion, will give it a go!

I must admit I tend to use Warm Glass for most things as I have always got excellent service from them - they update their website regularly with information, and respond to customer feedback with helpful advice (And no, I am not on commission  ;D ;D)

Only tend to go elsewhere when they don't stock an item, or when buying somewhere else makes it worth while.  But by the time you add postage on to orders from several places, you may as well buy from a single place, even if they aren't always the cheapest on every item.

NRichards

You must try it, its lovely!!

I'm just kicking myself, I promised my dad I'd make him and his wife a glass dish for Christmas so asked him to choose the mould and he chose the Large Square Slumper with Flat Base from Warm Glass and now its out of stock!! But your absolutely right, by the time I've added on postage...I'll just have to wait!

Thanks for your help.

Naomi