Craft Sand

Started by Rainbow1, November 25, 2010, 05:34:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rainbow1

I was looking for some craft sand to stand my mandrels up in after reading that someone else on hear uses the red stuff from Ikea. I didn't really want to trail to my nearest Ikea just for some sand.

I had a look on the net and found some, see link below, just wanted to share with anyone who might be interested.

http://www.rista.co.uk/?gclid=CLSticC-vKUCFUxO4Qodui24Yw

Jo x

Jo x

turnedlight

Ooh, some interesting things there! Thank you. :)
kathryn

Lush!

I use rice, cheap and cheerful and you might already have some at the back of your cupboard  :D

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

dinah46

I just nicked the sand from the grandkids sandpit :D

sarah t

i use rice in a large flower pot too  (in the shed) and stick them in some polystyrene in the house while waiting for them to dry as it is too cold in the shed ..i would not buy anything special just have a look round and see what you have got  ;)

Redkite

mizgeorge

Yep. Mine's playsand too.

hollergrafik

I live opposite the beach ;D

Rainbow1

Wish I lived near the beach, lucky you.

I read on  here that normal sand sticks to the mandrels thus the reason why I was looking into alternatives.

Jo x
Jo x

sparrow

I use cat litter  ::) Thanks for the link!
Sabine x

www.littlecastledesigns.co.uk www.facebook.com/littlecastledesigns Ring Top Tutorial

hollergrafik

Kiln dried sand (commercial as opposed to doing it yourself) wont stick to mandrels, you can get it in B and Q etc, its the stuff used for block paving so it goes between rather than sticking.

♥♥Tan♥♥

Blue Box Studio

Vermiculite in old bean tins or bottom of 2 litre milk cartons.  I had to do something with the big bag of vermiculite once I bought annealling bubbles.  Perhaps Kirsty could find a use for it? 
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

Phoenix*

I use a couple of florists oasis blocks sat in a roasting tin..left in their vacuum plastic and just poke the mandrels in  ;D
Kim :)    &  www.phoenixbeads.co.uk

awrylemming

I rather like the idea of prettying up my new desk with some sparkly sand to shove my mandrels in - and I'm going to get some.  Thanks for the link, lovely  ;D