which dremel for xmas?

Started by firedinglass, November 24, 2010, 08:58:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

firedinglass

My OH  keeps asking me what i would like for xmas and after much thought i've decided that one of the things i really need is something to make bead cleaning easier.  i used to have a dremel but it got lost in our house move.  it was the type that came in the big box with all the accessories and to be honest i just didn't use it!  The cord got in the way and it was such a faf to use.  I know there is a cordless one out there comfortable to hold and that you can buy diamond bits for but don't know which one it is.  I know the speeds vary and some can be too fast for cleaning beads, does anyone have a particular model they would recommend? :)

www.facebook.com/firedinglass
http://www.etsy.com/shop/firedinglass
Lisa

Lush!

I have a Hobby Dremel 300. It is corded but it fits my hand nicely and the speed wheel is in just the right place. I've used it pretty much daily for about a year and it's great.

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

MangoBeads

I have the Cordless Dremel Stylus is sort of gun shaped and is great for bead cleaning  :)

Stacy

I keep seeing a pen shaped dremel in B&Q...not used it but eveytime I see it I think that would be good for cleaning beads.

dangerousbead

Quote from: MangoBeads on November 24, 2010, 09:51:08 AM
I have the Cordless Dremel Stylus is sort of gun shaped and is great for bead cleaning  :)

Yours works? Mine runs out of steam after one minute, no matter what I've tried. In fact I've given up and got a cheapo model from Tuffnells, the bits fall out but I like it a lot better.

firedinglass

Quote from: dangerousbead on November 24, 2010, 11:31:56 AM

Yours works? Mine runs out of steam after one minute, no matter what I've tried. In fact I've given up and got a cheapo model from Tuffnells, the bits fall out but I like it a lot better.
I also already have Martins and the bits fall out..it drives me mad!   That's why i'm thinking of the dremel for xmas!  I really wanted a cordless i saw julie's comment re how good the 300 is but am reluctant to buy it and then discover a perfect cordless one :-\

Lisa

MangoBeads

Quote from: dangerousbead on November 24, 2010, 11:31:56 AM

Its been brilliant lasts ages - you must have had a dodgy battery ? ???

JaySpangles

I have this.  It is great,  the rechargeable battery lasts for ages.  It makes bead cleaning (almost) a pleasure.

firedinglass

It looks like it will be the dremel stylus then!   Which diamond bits do you all use in it, do any type or all fit?     many thanks for the info, this forum is so great! :)

Lisa

JaySpangles

I have a variable chuck in mine - bought it as an add on.  It means I can use any bit.  I use the ones from the battery reamer I got from Martin.  He sells spares.  I use a long pointy one most but also the one with a wide cone shaped bit on top (for grinding off any naughty pointy hole surrounds) 
Always under water.  (The beads and reamer bit, not me personally - conjures up quite a picture)