Anyone tried GlassClay?

Started by noora, November 18, 2010, 05:56:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

noora

I remember GlassClay being mentioned here when it was new on the UK market, but has anyone tried it since then? I just bought a package with an asortment of colours. I have no ideas whatsoever for it (I'm just curious to try it), so I thought I'd ask if anyone has tried it and if you have any tips :)

helenfc

would be interested to see what you do with it hun, have seen some stuff that has been fired, and I think people have been having some teething problems with it, such as boiling and loss of colour saturation. I'm waiting until it is a bit more refined before I give it a go, but all this stuff I saw and heard was quite a while ago. It might have been improved quite a bit :) would love to see pics of what you do with it! have fun xx

rocky

Oddly, I just got my glass clay out for a play this week. Haven't used it yet though. Perhaps we should try a few things, see what happens.  :o
I have one piece I tried. I mixed it with tap water. Big mistake - the colour went horrible and yukky. I've got some moulds I'm going to try this w/e. Let's see what occurs ....
Deanne x

noora

Yeah, I'll have to get some distilled water before I try it. Our tap water is rusty sometimes :o and I know what metals can do to some glass colours. And I'll have to get some tools that haven't already been used with PMC (mixing glass and silver isn't a good idea either...).

Hotglass28

Wear gloves when using it. The oils in your skin will dull/contaminate the glass.

Have fun and post photos when your done  ;D
www.facebook.com/pages/The-Owl-Goes-Hoot/567182803365298
www.etsy.com/uk/shop/TheOwlGoesHoot?ref=l2-shopheader-name

rocky

... aaah! I didn't wear gloves last time. That would not have helped! My yellow went a sort of yucky green, but only in places! Euuggh!
Deanne x

Warm Glass UK

We did a series of tests on some when it first came out and felt that it didnt look or feel like glass - we have only tried the opals and maybe when the trasnparents are available, they will be better. The end result was like baked Fimo Clay so we weren't sure why you would want to go to the trouble of firing this in a kiln instead of using Fimo?!

Pippa

Flyingcheesetoastie

Surely the transparents will not come out transparent though?  That's certainly the case with using powdered glass in freeze N fuze.  You get some quite nice pastels but if you're looking for crystal clear, I think the only way to do that is casting!

noora

I have African bottleglass beads which are made from a kind of glass clay using crushed bottles for the glass. You can see that the glass is transparent, but because the beads are so rough on the surface (they look like they've been etched) you can't see through them. It definitely looks different from opaque glass though. I love the texture and colour of the bottleglass beads :) I have them for sale in my webshop if you want to see what they look like (sorry for the Swedish, I'm working on a translation but it's slow...) http://www.silvergrejs.se/index.php?page=inventory&type=categories&category=dp