Any hope for my oxycon?

Started by Bobbo, November 09, 2010, 07:13:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobbo

Hi,

My oxycon has started to shut itself off about 5 mins after being turned on.

It starts up fine then just after it passes it's five min settling in period and the little light comes on, it just clunks, shudders and dies!

If I keep restarting it, it kicks in eventually then works happily for hours on end.

The really annoying thing is that once it kicks in it works brilliantly it's just this cutting off after the exact amount (always 5 mins) of time that's so frustrating.It also means I have to keep messing about with it for nearly half an hour before I can use it.

Any suggestions or is it on it's last legs?

Thanks,
Rob.

helbels

Have you tried the standard things?

1) Pick it up and drop it from a height of about 3 inches.  This burps it apparently.

2) Clean its filters.

3) Replace its 9V Battery.

They are the things I know of - RedHotSal is the real expert, so hopefully she'll be along shortly.

julieHB

Mine does the same, more now that the weather has turned colder. I tend to spend the first half hour faffing and planning ingenious designs...(a lot more faffing than designing, mind you)  ;D  ::)

I don't know how long you have had it, but it might be worth changing the internal filter and the fan (Martin sells both). Call Martin, he's very helpful and should be able to advise you!
Julie xx

My Webbie - My Flickr

Bobbo

Hi,

Thanks Helen, Julie,

I've tried the first  three and no improvement (except I got a bit of sadistic pleasure dropping the little *****)

I don't really like to ask Martin as I didn't buy it from him, seems a bit cheeky!

Faffing is my speciality Julie! Althiugh tonight I seem to have my sensible head on and started doing some soft glass stuff until no 2 kicked in.

Thanks again,

Rob.

Redhotsal

Rob,
It may be the fan. If it shuts off after five minutes it could be that the fan is becoming loose when the thing heats up. Dropping the concentrator from a couple of inches is usually an attempt to reseat the fan but as you can imagine it's not exactly an elegant solution. Best to open it up and have a look for yourself.

Open it up and make sure the fan is pushed in well - it's a push in connection, so if after five minutes it's heated up and may have come adrift. It could also be that the fan is buggered - so after a few minutes it may be over heating. Do you get the red light or is it just shutting itself off? If it's been particularly noisy it may be that the fan is on its way out and it's time to replace.

The red light is often some kind of over heating issue (fan not working properly), but if it has just shut itself off it may be that there is some kind of small hole in the internal tubing inside the concentrator. When the thing is cold the hole may not be exposed but may open up as everything heats up. If there is any kind of internal oxygen leak it will just shut itself off.

Open the thing up and check all the tubing. If it's all brittle and cracked there's your problem. You may need to get hold of some silicon tubing, a few cable ties and re-tube the thing.
Fans:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Family.aspx?Menu=1649&Worldid=-3
You should find a matching one here - check the spec on your fan and just match it up.

Silicon Tubing:
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/DPH-Silicone-Hose
You'll need to match up the diameter of the tubing that's on your concentrator but someone like the above link should do what you want.

Hope this helps.

garishglobes

That is really useful information - would it be ok to add it to the oxycon maintenance thread as well?

Yellow friend

Martin has fans & filters (I've changed both) and have succumbed to buying another recon.  Had my oxy for about 2 years and it dies after 90 minutes or so, sometimes it will carry on after I turn it off for a few minutes, sometimes not and I can't stand the anticipation anymore - will it won't it-  especially if I'm doing something that takes a while.

I think mine's pretty -kn******d as the black sponge has also turned to dust!

Shelia
www.crocosmiajewellery.com
www.crocosmiajewellery.etsy.com

Redhotsal

I'm looking for old oxycons. Might be able to get them re-working. Don't want to offer a service fixing them in general as that's not the business I want to be in, but if anyone is thinking about throwing out their old oxycons don't, but please let me know, as I would be interested in having any old oxycons (spares or repairs).
Yes, it's fine to put the info in the maintenance thread - can't guarantee it's efficicacy though.

Bobbo

Quote from: Redhotsal on November 09, 2010, 11:30:13 PM
Rob,
It may be the fan. If it shuts off after five minutes it could be that the fan is becoming loose when the thing heats up. Dropping the concentrator from a couple of inches is usually an attempt to reseat the fan but as you can imagine it's not exactly an elegant solution. Best to open it up and have a look for yourself.

Open it up and make sure the fan is pushed in well - it's a push in connection, so if after five minutes it's heated up and may have come adrift. It could also be that the fan is buggered - so after a few minutes it may be over heating. Do you get the red light or is it just shutting itself off? If it's been particularly noisy it may be that the fan is on its way out and it's time to replace.

The red light is often some kind of over heating issue (fan not working properly), but if it has just shut itself off it may be that there is some kind of small hole in the internal tubing inside the concentrator. When the thing is cold the hole may not be exposed but may open up as everything heats up. If there is any kind of internal oxygen leak it will just shut itself off.

Open the thing up and check all the tubing. If it's all brittle and cracked there's your problem. You may need to get hold of some silicon tubing, a few cable ties and re-tube the thing.
Fans:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Family.aspx?Menu=1649&Worldid=-3
You should find a matching one here - check the spec on your fan and just match it up.

Silicon Tubing:
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/DPH-Silicone-Hose
You'll need to match up the diameter of the tubing that's on your concentrator but someone like the above link should do what you want.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Sally for the info, had a look and it doesn't seem to be any of these problems.

Anyway I'll keep on flogging the poor thing until it truly dies, just have to make good use of the half hour it takes to get it to kick in.

Rob.

Redhotsal

ah......does it take you a long time to start it up? Sounds like it could be the compressor on its way out, then.

Yellow friend

Got my new recon from Martin - what a difference - sooo much quieter as well as no ear splitting alarms as soon as you switch it on.  Seems to be a bit hotter as well.  Its a different model too, a Devilbiss whereas the other was a 590i.  Did a whole 3 hour session without it cutting out - am now a happy bunny :)
www.crocosmiajewellery.com
www.crocosmiajewellery.etsy.com