paragon sc2 annealing instructions

Started by turnedlight, May 25, 2007, 09:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turnedlight

When I got my kiln, I programmed in the annealing programme as per the instructions, and for a while believed it to be broken because it kept overshooting. This was sorted with Paragon, now I'm wondering if the cooling down stage is too fast- it comes down from 537c to 371c in about 40 mins?
Also, does 537c sound too high? I bought the kiln with the bead door, but they lie directly on the fibre shelf, and although I wait 'til the glow has gone, and then a few seconds, some have picked up the shelf pattern.
Thank you for any help and advice!
kathryn

Isabelle

537 does sound a bit high to me - most people seem to use something between 510 and 520. There's a lot on LE about annealing schedules - and everyone's seems to be a bit different!!  I use Trey Cornette's schedule - cos he makes lovely big beads and if it works for those, I figure it will be more than enough for my smaller ones. I have it somewhere - I'll find it and post it for you!

Shirley

Hi, there is some really good info about annealing for the SC2B in the Beginner beadmaking basics and colour charts section. Several people have had the overshooting, including me, and there are some tips about minimising it. :)
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

Isabelle

Ok, here it is! I converted all the temps to C from these ones, and i cool it further than he says before switching off because i'm a cautious sort -  but otherwise, this is the one that works for me!

Quote: TC

Step 1 Working temp 950

I hold this temp all day. Usually 8-12 hrs

Step 2 Hold 1hr

When finished for the day I hold this temp for 1hr.  Annealing temperature vary from color to color in Moretti glass and this is a good average temp for annealing

Step 3 Ramp down 850

100 degrees per hour to the straining point of 850

Step 4 Hold at 850 for 15 min

This hold allows the temperatures in the glass to even out. Without this hold you will trap stress in the glass and the work will not be annealed.

Step 5 Ramp down to 700

rate of 200 degrees per hour.

Step 6 Kiln shuts down for a slow cool to room temperature

This annealing schedule will give you a good anneal fonmost bead work. As the size of the work grows these times will grow and the ramp rates will slow down. This is for moretti glass

Billie

If you go to HOME and do a search for BATCH ANNEAL you'll find a schedule and also some notes within the thread on overshooting, if you do a search for ANNEAL AS YOU GO you'll find a second programming schedule  :)

turnedlight

wow thanks Isabelle, Shirley and Little bee! I will try your suggestions!
kathryn

*rowanberry*

Thanks Izzy, i am going to try your annealling schedule and see if that helps me any better.
Claire