Main Menu

New boro supplier

Started by awrylemming, November 01, 2010, 11:15:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

awrylemming

Hi, I don't know how many people shop at Devardi glass http://www.devardiglass.com/ - I have used them a few times and really like their soft glass, tho the rods are huge.  Just received their newsletter and they are going to be stocking boro soon - as their prices are so reasonable for everything else I'm assuming this will be pretty competitive too.  Thought I'd give you boro users a heads up.  ;D

fionaess

Ermmmmm... not sure how much trust I have in a boro supplier who says this  http://www.devardiglass.com/boro.htm     !!!!!!!!!!!

If it's got a hole, it's a bead !

Kalorlo

:o Er, yeah, I'd let someone else find out exactly what it is they're actually selling there!

Josephine

Either I'm confused or they are! 104 Boro!

awrylemming

Hmmm, strange  ??? - I've just sent them an email pointing out someone has been a bit fick!

MadelineBunyan

um...can we say WTF?

yummy colours in their actual 104 range though!

awrylemming

Blimey, they've replied already!  As you all know, it was a mistake, it is the usual boro COE that they have coming, and it should be about 60 days when they will have some stock.  However, from personal experience, they sell out incredibly quickly - you have to be quick off the mark.  I may buy some myself to put by for my new torch.  ;D

stuwaudby

The best price Tuffnells do for Effetre delivered is £11.41 per kilo.

Best price Devardi do is:
$44 dollars shipping 8.2 kg (£27.50)
+£13.19 / kg
+ 17.5% VAT
Comes to £19.44 per kilo for their standard Indian 104. Hardly cheap!

Try Plowden and Thompsons for some hand pulled, made in England rods. If you do order, do it by weight because the road sizes vary alot. The price varies between £10.21 and £17.00 per kilo depending on colour.

Kalorlo

That's not quite right: it's $13.19/kg = £8.22/kg according to XE today (£9.66 inc VAT).

It doesn't really tempt me though - I'd rather place a nice big order with Glassworks.be if I was to be ordering from overseas (and they're in Europe!).

(And that's not mentioning having to work differently and having yet more and unknown incompatibility issues to watch for!)

stuwaudby

Oops - my mistake.

$44/8.2kg = £3.31/kg
+$13.19/kg (£8.11/kg)
+ 17.5% VAT
Comes to £13.41 per kilo, not far off UK prices.

It will be interesting to see what Boro they make available.