How to straighten mandrels???

Started by BeadyBugs, May 22, 2007, 11:08:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeadyBugs

Morning!

This is probably a stupid question, but thought I'd ask anyway.  I've just bought 2 brand new packs of 1/16th mandrels, which arrived this morning, very well packaged.  I've taken them out of the packaging to find every single one is bent (worse than the ones I bought them to replace) and pretty much unusable.  I just wondered if there were any tricks to straightening mandrels, or whether I should just give up and send them back?

Not happy!  >:(

Cheers,
HP x
Helen P

*rowanberry*

I'd send them back hun

I cant see there being a way of getting them perfectly straight again to be honest....
Claire

BeadyBugs

Mmm, that's what I reckoned, but thought it was worth a try.  What a pain, I hate having to send stuff back. :(

Cheers chuck.

HP x
Helen P

beadysam

Send em back!  They'll never be quite right even if you manage to straighten them somewhat.  Where did you get them?

Les

Yeh.. they ought to be straight as a die....... send them back

BeadyBugs

Cheers guys. 

They are bent in the middle (and some other places), so they do that flurky/jerky end type thing when you try and twiddle them.  Definitely duds then, just wondered if there was some secret straightening technique I'd missed out on. ;) 

I don't suppose my GHD's would work - work wonders on my hair?!  ROFLMAO!!!  ;D

HP x
Helen P

Mary

I've read that you can roll them between two flat heavy things, like a pan and the kitchen table, but I never had much luck getting them completely straight again.

BeadyBugs

Yeh - that's the kind of thing I was wondering about Mary, thanks.  I knew I'd never manage it with a pair of pliers.  Usually end up making them worse unless it's just a slight bend in the end.

HP x
Helen P

♥♥Tan♥♥

Gawd, tell us where you got them so we dont all end up with duff ones!!

xtweeksx

I'd send em back def!!

On my well used ones... I cut off the bent part, end up with 6in mandrels  ::) I have yet to try (I keep mean to) the theory that I read somewhere of heating your mandrels up in your kiln (without beads or release on them hehe), taking them out when really hot (wear ya gloves for those who might try it) and throwing them in a bucket of water.....  its mean to straighten them nicely.

Whose gonna experiment then?

Jenx

Vicki

I cut the little bent bits off too ;D only yesterday I found myself working with one I must have done it to twice...it was a tad on the short side...I do it when beads get very stuck to, I hate waste ;)

*rowanberry*

Just send your old ones to Tan to sharpen...  :D
Claire

♥♥Tan♥♥

BeadyBugs

Hehehe! ;D

Must admit, I was thinking of sending them out to see who could come up with the most creative thing to do with a bent mandrel!!!  LOL! :D :D :D

....no sniggering at the back. ;D

HP x
Helen P

mams