Hot Head angle

Started by Lotti, October 13, 2010, 10:22:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lotti

I know that there has been some discussion about angles for Hot Heads (just got to get the outbuilding tidied up a bit and solve a current lack of electricity problem!) and had a bit of a chat with Tufnell's about this yesterday, but can you change the angle of the hot head, it seems very 'straight up'!  I have been learning on a cricket but just can't afford one of these lovely torches and the oxycon at the moment.  I was going to get the hot head for bulk (with all the bits of course) mounted on the bench bracket that you can get as it will make a good working area but am worried about the angle thing.  What do others do?  :)

mizgeorge

It's not easy on MAPP, but on bulk propane, I found I could alter the angle quite a lot by just bending the bench clamp to where I wanted it.

SilverGems89

That is exactly how i am set up (bulk on a bench clamp) and have never changed the angle of the torch, i think i just got used to it!

This is what it looks like, although that is the night it got set up and the rest of the workspace looks totally different now! the torch is still the same (albeit not as shiny)

Kalorlo

Mine's straight up (I like it that way) but like George said, you can just bend your bench bracket. You can use it 'upside down' from the way it is in SilverGems' picture, so the short piece is sticking up in the air. Then just bend it forward at an angle. Or have it the same as the picture and bend the short piece outwards. Just depends on how it best fits your space.

SilverGems89

my dad thought it should go the other way up but i didnt feel it was very "safe" that way for some reason  :-\ it all feels natural to me now anyway  ;)

Lotti

Thanks folks.  Will start off with it as is and see how I get on and then if a bit too upright try George's suggestion.  Ooooh, getting closer, so so so excited. :)

poledra1958

I had mine upright for a while, but now have turned the bench clamp over and bent the angle so that the torch is more at an angle now,  I do prefer it this way.

Jenny

HH on Bulk,

SallyB

Hi
I have an aluminium thing that Tuffnells sell with a bench clamp.  I've bent it quite a lot so it sits less up in the air and more forward.  I have a sophisticated set up that I'll attempt to post a photo of here:

I like to work with the torch quite high so that I'm not hunching.  I have it all resting on blocks of wood with the aluminium thing along the top and a very heavy tile on top of that to hold various bits of stuff.
Hope that helps a tiny bit.
Sally

ScarletLeonard

I don't have one of those fancy bench clamps, went with an L bracket and a clamp for mine.

I did bend mine so it wasn't fully upright.

I found that angle quite nice to work at. Only thing I could do with is some raised arm rests.

poledra1958

QuoteOnly thing I could do with is some raised arm rests.

For a cheap arm rest,  Try the loo roll wraped in tin foil trick.  I have one with my hot head and it works quite well.

Jenny

HH on Bulk,

ScarletLeonard

Quote from: poledra1958 on October 26, 2010, 01:43:54 PM
QuoteOnly thing I could do with is some raised arm rests.

For a cheap arm rest,  Try the loo roll wraped in tin foil trick.  I have one with my hot head and it works quite well.

Jenny

I did try that unfortunately they weren't high enough for how I like to sit. I'm having dad in law coming to fix me some more shelving and secure my now present wine rack glass storage so I'm going to have him build me a pose-able one :p

Blue Box Studio

Quote from: ScarletLeonard on October 26, 2010, 12:11:08 PM
I don't have one of those fancy bench clamps, went with an L bracket and a clamp for mine.

I did bend mine so it wasn't fully upright.

I found that angle quite nice to work at. Only thing I could do with is some raised arm rests.

I used an L bracket but mine points upwards so I can bend it even further if I want.  Make sure you buy the ones with the blob of reinforcing on the outside of the L, I didn't think before I'd ripped the packet open and mine is inside, but with a bit of brute force it works well. 

If that makes no sense to anyone but me I'll go and take a photo but it's dark and damp out there tonight.
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr