Newbie - large space or small space?

Started by LampyLou, October 13, 2010, 10:18:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LampyLou

Hi

I'm just starting out and am trying to research what I need.  My husband has said I can use quarter of our double garage as my workshop.  Do I enclose it and make it snug and spend loads on plasterboard, ventilation etc or to start with at least will I be OK just opening one of the garage doors?  :-\

Thanks
Julia

Lush!

To start with, just open the door, yep  ;)

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

Fruddy

Quote from: Lush! on October 13, 2010, 12:55:55 PM
To start with, just open the door, yep  ;)

Agree with Julie.... ;D

I'm in the utility room (here's a pic) and I have a hole in the wall above my torch (where the tumble dryer vent used to go) and the door open behind me.  I've been working like this for a month now with no problems (although I have to say that at midnight last night my feet were FREEEEEZING!)

LampyLou

Thank you all, those pictures of the serious ventilation were getting me scared, plus hubby is panicking that the neighbours might object if the gass and vent are too noisey.

Julia

ps Julie it's me coming on the 8th so I'm hoping I'll understand SOO much more then!

sparrow

I had the garage door wide open for two years before I got my studio.......to illustrate.....it was cold!

Before... by Little Castle Designs, on Flickr

.....the little flecks in the air are snow. But I live to tell the tale  ;D I only just got them last winter, but boy, do I recommend sheepskin boots!!!!!
Sabine x

www.littlecastledesigns.co.uk www.facebook.com/littlecastledesigns Ring Top Tutorial

Redhotsal

Yes, I suppose it's a bit of an initiation - I started off with the garage door flung open. Had to break the ice on the water jar a few times. Ruddy cold. You'll probably not notice the cold though - you'll be so engrossed in bead making.

stuwaudby

Having the garage door open should be sufficient. If it is a still day and you are working at the back fo the room I  suggest using a desk fan to make sure fres air is circulated.

I work in a large conservatory with windows open both ends and an extractor. I still sometimes get affected by the fumes when I am working very hot.

Remember that you are breathing air from very close to your torch when working. If you start to feel tired or irritable (happens alot!) stop work immediatley and get some fresh air.

Fruddy

Quote from: sparrow on October 13, 2010, 06:26:39 PM
I had the garage door wide open for two years before I got my studio.......to illustrate.....it was cold!

Before... by Little Castle Designs, on Flickr

.....the little flecks in the air are snow. But I live to tell the tale  ;D I only just got them last winter, but boy, do I recommend sheepskin boots!!!!!

Blimey Sabine - is that the same garage where you taught me????  Couldn't look more different now!!! ;D

sparrow

Yup, the very same :) The proper studio is a mere 11 months old! Photo story o the conversion is here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/thesparrowinflight/sets/72157622347560471/
Sabine x

www.littlecastledesigns.co.uk www.facebook.com/littlecastledesigns Ring Top Tutorial

awrylemming

Oh wow - you have designed your studio beautifully!!  And you really, really deserve it, you must have narrowly avoided frostbite in your garage  ;D