glass cutting (*Now with video! Oooooo! haha!)

Started by doubleglazed, January 09, 2007, 07:11:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Were these videos helpful?

Yes, now I know how to do it
5 (55.6%)
Yes, but I'm still chicken
3 (33.3%)
No, Steph, you goof! Get off my screen!
1 (11.1%)
Ambivalent
0 (0%)
Really not bothered. Fusing?! Pah! Beads all the way baby!!!
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 5

doubleglazed

any tips on cutting glass for a total beginer to fusing

BeadyBugs

Have a box of plasters handy. ;)

I've just nicked this brief description off the fusing tut on my site - don't know if it helps without pics, but here goes:

As a general guide, hold the cutter like a pen, and apply firm even pressure as you cut. Cut towards you if cutting a straight line, and push away from you if cutting curves. To snap a straight cut use the breaking pliers if you have some, or carefully hold the glass either side of the cut and snap it if you haven't.  And for curved cuts tap the back of the glass with the handle end of your glass cutter, along the score line, til it breaks.

I'm sure everyone does it differently, and I'd practice on a few offcuts first, but hope it helps.  Good luck.

HP x
Helen P

handmadeheaven.biz

check me out! i made a video :P low res and muffled sound but this might help a total novice....

VIDEO ONE: Scoring and breaking glass freehand

that's just for bigger pieces tho. i'll do a 'small pieces' one later if you think it's worthwhile?

BeadyBugs

Oh that's much better than my crappy attempts to describe it. ;D

What about doing a curved one too - they're trickier. ;)  LOL!

HP x
Helen P

handmadeheaven.biz

do i sound like a dork?! lol!!

mate, u know i don't do curves!! i'm a geometric kinda gal. you do one :P

BeadyBugs

No you don't sound like a dork - it's a great little video. ;D

The last time I tried to do one, I nearly had my eye out with a mandrel and got bead release everywhere!!  LOL!

HP x
Helen P

annasjewellerybox

oooo,

very cool, i was worried it would hate my mac, but it didn't, that always makes me happy :)

hmmmm, i always imagined steph talking much louder though ?;)

handmadeheaven.biz

hahaha! do you still have it? ;)

just uploading the one using breaking pliers.... tried it on a better resolution this time

handmadeheaven.biz

Quote from: annasjewellerybox on January 09, 2007, 09:18:44 PM
oooo,

very cool, i was worried it would hate my mac, but it didn't, that always makes me happy :)

hmmmm, i always imagined steph talking much louder though  ;)
cheeky mare! i'm all shy. not made a video tute b4. i'll shout next time ;D

BeadyBugs

No I binned it - it was rubbish!  I was attempting to show the dip and flick. ;)

HP x
Helen P

handmadeheaven.biz

here's "how to cut and break glass with breaking pliers" (better quality). of course it doesnt always work for teeny bits of glass. that's when you've got to whip out your grozers!!

VIDEO TWO: Cutting and breaking smaller pieces of glass with breaking pliers

BeadyBugs

That video's good too - we've got the same pliers. ;)

HP x
Helen P

handmadeheaven.biz

sometimes they give me gip (jip?) so i've ordered a plastic pair like the ones i used on my course which worked every time

BeadyBugs

I find them tricky on very fine slivers, as the soft ends cushion the glass too much.  Let me know how you get on with the plastic ones - may have to try a pair, as I only do fiddly cutting.

HP x
Helen P

handmadeheaven.biz

exactly. sometimes i'm trying to break teeny pieces like a less-than-1cm piece into smaller pieces and find it hard to do without having the glass at an angle with those pliers. i tried it with the grozers by holding one end of the glass like a twonk once.... blood everywhere & never to be repeated! i think someone had removed my brain at that precise moment in time. learn by your mistakes eh!

will do, should have them in a day or two cos WG are so quick!