Glassline Pens

Started by anna0773, September 29, 2010, 05:45:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anna0773

Hi everyone,

Have any of you used Glassline pens? I used one for the first time today and the colour completely disappeared when fired. What did I do wrong?
I used a base of cream opal glass, then the pen (gold metallic) and a piece of clear glass on top.
Should I have let the 'paint' dry before firing?
I am using a microwave kiln at the mo. to see if I like doing stuff with glass. I've had it for about 2 weeks to I'm just a beginner.

Thanks for your help.  :)

Hotglass28

Umm, not sure about that, esp as your using a microwave pot.

I have used black with no problem whatsoever. (normal kiln fired) 
Give it another go but leave it uncapped. If the gold disapears again then I shall assume the microwave is eating the colour in some bizzare microwave way ::).  Did you even get a ghost of the glassline in the sandwich?

Denise
www.facebook.com/pages/The-Owl-Goes-Hoot/567182803365298
www.etsy.com/uk/shop/TheOwlGoesHoot?ref=l2-shopheader-name

Hotglass28

Oh, and, love your cat. I'm a sucker for black cats AND what do you mean IF you like playing with glass?   You WILL get hooked, esp if you befriend someone with a bigger kiln so you can do loads at a time instead of one or two.  ;)

How are you getting on with the microwave kiln, you like?   
www.facebook.com/pages/The-Owl-Goes-Hoot/567182803365298
www.etsy.com/uk/shop/TheOwlGoesHoot?ref=l2-shopheader-name

Bluebottle

If the Glassline pen is a true metallic gold then microwaves will probably destroy it, just try putting metallic patterned china in a microwave and watch the "fireworks" very pretty but doesn't do your microwave much good LOL  HTH

Mike   ;D

Trudi

I was thinking about trying one of those pens - do you need to buy the separate nibs or can you use them as you buy them?

Ta

Warm Glass UK

You can use them as bought either straight from the bottle or squeeze some out onto a saucer and use a brush or sponge. The nib sets are only £2.75 for three (narrow, medium and wide) and as long as you rinse them out after each use, you can swap them from one bottle to the next.

Thanks, Pippa  P.S. The Bronze Patina one is especially interesting as it creates bubbles where you've drawn with it on the glass!