Newbie question...

Started by Lucas, September 27, 2010, 05:05:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucas

Hi everyone, I was after some advice on 'fine silver' inclusions - does anyone use these at all, or know anything much about them?  Does it matter what glass I use or will it react with somethings?  What guage would you recommend using (for accents on fused pendants mostly) - any ideas?
Thanks
:)

Zeldazog

Hi Lucas

Welcome to the forum. 

Whilst you're waiting for replies, why not head over to the "Hello and Welcome" thread, and introduce yourself - we don't bite, honest!  Well, only things made of choclit  ;D ;D

I can't make any recommendations about gauge of silver to use.  But you will find it reacting with some colours.  Bullseye do a "crystal" clear which is recommended when using with silver - otherwise you might get yellowing of glass. Some of their glasses are reactive, so you can get all sorts of interesting effects. 

Bullseye do a whole range of tip sheets, including reactive glasses, on their website.

♥♥Tan♥♥

I think silver goes a bit funny with the pinks

caraj316

Quote from: Tan on September 27, 2010, 09:30:56 PM
I think silver goes a bit funny with the pinks

in my experience silver makes pinks look like baby poo.

I've had a fair amount to compare it with!

Zeldazog

Hmm, yeah I can imagine pink glass, going a bit yellow (and a bit brown as reactive glasses go) may well look like baby poop!

noora

French vanilla goes greyish brown and turquoise(!) with silver. The pinks go yucky. Sometimes the wire itself goes yucky but not the glass as far as I can see. It could still be a reaction with the glass.

Lower temperatures (tack fuse) work better than higher, in my experience. My experience is however quite limited, since the results have been so varied I haven't really bothered to experiment with it a lot yet.

If you make complex squiggles of wire you run a risk of trapping bubbles, especially if you use thick wire. Other than that, I don't think the gauge matters. 

JaySpangles

Laura Sparling has a vid about encasing silver wire that you may be interested in.
Here is the link:
http://www.youtube.com/user/beadsbylaura

I recently made a large heart pendant (using what seemed like a ton of glass - well it seemed like it) wrapped in fine silver wire.
The Reichenbach Pink Lady was unaffected but the Reichenback Pink Pearl went what can only be described as a very ODD colour!

Lucas

Thanks folks - me thinks I'll leave it alone for the moment, results sound too variable!  Thanks for useful info though.  Thinking back to the joys of baby poo, I want to steer as clear as possible!
L