what do i need for clear borosilicate work?

Started by firedinglass, September 14, 2010, 05:08:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firedinglass

I have been mucking about, sorry experimenting recently with a sculptural type bead and it occurred to me it would be much easier to work in clear boro (it just happens that i have quite a lot of it bought for punty use)  I tried it and then i thought 'should i be doing this?' :-\   i only have the ACE glasses for soft glass.  This is only for occassional beads but should i not even try without the proper glasses..... don't want to damage my eyesight  by doing something stupid!

www.facebook.com/firedinglass
http://www.etsy.com/shop/firedinglass
Lisa

garishglobes

You can get flip-up clip-on welders shades for borosilicate work - recommended is shade 5 but I have to say that I find shade 3 seems to be ok for the level of heat that I have, and I find the shade 5's almost impossible to see through. 

Don't take my word as gospel, but I would also say that most scientific glassblowers and other boro workers who work with clear glass and are not working with intense heat or strong colour that requires a lot of heat just use the ACE didymium glasses. This is NOT a recommendation or any sort of advice, merely an observation.

firedinglass

many thanks for the info and for moving the question ( oops sorry it was in the wrong place!)   I'll have a look on ebay for welders glasses  :)

www.facebook.com/firedinglass
http://www.etsy.com/shop/firedinglass
Lisa

Hamilton Taylor

Emma's right - didys are absolutely fine for clear boro work. The intensity with which some of the colours glow when hot is what makes welders shades necessary. There is also an issue with IR entering the eye, again more of a problem for coloured glass, and people who deal with large, very hot gathers (4" marbles, etc.).

Sean

garishglobes

Infield safety do clip-ons, I have tried ebay in the past with minimal success - but you never know, things may have changed!

Ian Pearson

My didy's from Sean work a treat for clear borosilicate, all sizes of work. Think they were Philips wernt they Sean? Fit over me presecription glasses good to

Ian