"Bleeding" or "Draining" Hoses after each Torching Session

Started by Fruddy, September 06, 2010, 02:13:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fruddy

Hi chaps,

Sabine mentioned something to me about this when I had my lesson with her, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was!  Martin didn't say anything about the need to do this when he gave me the low down on set-up, but the poor chap was very busy at the time, so maybe he thought I already knew what needed to be done, so to speak!

What do you all do at the end of a torching session, with a view to making the area safe?

Thanks very much!

Rach
x

elburnzo

turn off the propane at the tank but leave ur torch propane valve open so it lets any gas in the pipes run out, once u stop hearing the hissing noise  i normally leave it another 10 secs or so jst in case then u can turn the propane off at the torch. this is after u have switched off the torch ie no more flames. on hh i just basically turn the gas off, leave the torch to run down then i blow out the flame when its small enough and leave it for a minute or two until theres no more gas noises. on a minor i believe u switch the oxygen off first at the torch and the concentrator, switch the propane off at the torch next so the flame goes out then switch the propane tank off and open the propane torch valve so tht the gas in the pipes escapes.... im a relatively newbie and on a HH as well so this might not be entirely correct im just going on how we do it for silversmithing with an oxy/gas torch. However bleeding the pipes does refer to letting all the gas escape so there no build up in the pipes which could potentially cause a leak etc.

HTH

Trudi

once you're finished torching, leave the torch on and turn off the gas bottle - and leave it burning as it drains the gas from the pipes (then turn off the torch)

elburnzo

Quote from: Trudi on September 06, 2010, 02:25:19 PM
once you're finished torching, leave the torch on and turn off the gas bottle - and leave it burning as it drains the gas from the pipes (then turn off the torch)

ah thts how i do it with the HH but wasnt sure about the minor etc its big flames frighten me :P

Kaz

Quote from: elburnzo on September 06, 2010, 02:24:51 PM
turn off the propane at the tank but leave ur torch propane valve open so it lets any gas in the pipes run out, once u stop hearing the hissing noise  i normally leave it another 10 secs or so jst in case then u can turn the propane off at the torch. this is after u have switched off the torch ie no more flames. on hh i just basically turn the gas off, leave the torch to run down then i blow out the flame when its small enough and leave it for a minute or two until theres no more gas noises. on a minor i believe u switch the oxygen off first at the torch and the concentrator, switch the propane off at the torch next so the flame goes out then switch the propane tank off and open the propane torch valve so tht the gas in the pipes escapes.... im a relatively newbie and on a HH as well so this might not be entirely correct im just going on how we do it for silversmithing with an oxy/gas torch. However bleeding the pipes does refer to letting all the gas escape so there no build up in the pipes which could potentially cause a leak etc.

HTH
No, don't let the propane run out in the air (a) it stinks and b) that would be like leaving the gas stove/hob running without lighting it i.e. there is gas hovering around that could then possibly ignite), do as Trudi says and burn it off by switching off at the bottle and letting the flame burn down. Doesn't really make any odds as to whether you switch off the oxy before or after you do this.
Kazx
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

mariag

Quote from: Trudi on September 06, 2010, 02:25:19 PM
That's what I do too & then switch off the oxy & leave the taps open & go back later & close them.

beadysam

Yep, thats pretty much the way I do it too.  I turn off my oxycon at the machine then at the torch, nip out and turn off the propane at the bottle, burn off the propane, then when the flame has gone turn off the propane at the torch.  I then turn up the oxy and clean my torch with a nice cool breeze blowing through it as the oxycon empties.  I'm on a Bobcat so it get cleaned more often than a minor needs. Takes maybe 20-secs until I turn the oxy back up, so its a quick job. ;)

Margram

I just turn off at the tank and the oxycon, and allow the propane in the pipe to burn off quickly with the residual oxygen that still pumps out for a bit even though the leccy is switched off...then I leave the knobs open until next time. Mind you I don't have far to go to turn my tank off (just outside shedio door).

PS I always double check that I've turned off the gas at the torch before opening the tank valve next time!
Marg x  Etsy Flickr My blog

Magpie

I turn off the gas at the cylinder then let the flame burn out, but if I'm then disconnecting the quick release coupling thingy so I can shut the back door do I really need to?

Redkite

Yes, cause otherwise you release unburned gas when you disconnect the quick release. Better to burn it off - the gases are less smelly and harmful.