hi question from a boro newbie

Started by catriona, September 03, 2010, 11:25:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

catriona

What is the best size of rod to use for marbels and pendants.
Also is it ok to batch anneal boro and if so will a fber blanket be ok for the cooling .

Thanks xxcatxx

Stacy

Hi Cat,

The size of the rod really depends on how large a marble/pendant you want to make. I've used 9mm and 13mm for most of mine. Saying that the only reason I haven't gone any larger is my torch would have a hard time with a gather created on anything bigger.
I've read somewhere that the maria created on any rod should be no more then 2x the diameter size of the rod which would give you a rough idea of how large you can go with any given dimension.

I batch anneal most of my stuff and always cool in a fiber blanket. The only time I have had trouble with cracks has been due to encasing green or my own bad connections.

catriona

thanks Stacy great info.
Right must go order bigger rods the ones ive got are 6mm.
Thanks again xxCatxx

garishglobes

Yes, greens can be really difficult if the flame isn't perfect for them because of the chrome in the colour - and not just encased. Luckily, some (English Ivy, silver seaweed etc...) do seem to be ok.

You should be fine batch annealling and I agree with Stacy, somewhere between 9 and 13mm clear rod is good for marbles and pendants, depending on how big you want them and how much firepower you have. Having said that, if I'm doing a vortex marble I sometimes use 6 or 7mm clear and add a lot of extra to the face of the marble once I've done the vortex and backed it.

For flowers and implosions I would go with a bigger rod (10-13), just to get a bigger maria and make it easier to put the pattern on.

fionaess

I just did my first batch anneal with boro and its fine, and I use a fibre blanket as well to cool down.  I have found that beads need to be put under the blanket - but everything else, pendants and hearts are fine just put on the top of the blanket.

If it's got a hole, it's a bead !

catriona

Thanks for the help ladies havent had a go yet but hopefully tomorrow.xxcatxx