Kiln Advice

Started by ShinySnail, August 31, 2010, 03:07:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShinySnail

I would like to get an SC2 Kiln with a bead door and shelf kit as I'd like to do a bit of fusing as well as bead making.

When I have used other peoples kilns in the past they have all had 'grids' where you can rest the end of the mandrels in. Is this a built in feature or do I need to buy a mandrel rest?

Thanks,
Anna

Krysia@No98

is this on the inside or the out side?
-* -  Courage is going from failure to failure with out loosing enthusiasm -*-

ShinySnail

Inside, so when you open the bead door you have somewhere to rest the mandrel so the bead doesn't touch the bottom

cbeadies

I think Tuffnells sell a kiln mandrel rack to go inside the kiln - listed under the 'Tools' on their site.

paintboxcrafts

My SC3 with bead door came with a rack to support the ends of the mandrels that stick out of the kiln.
I played around with different ideas, and have finished up using that outdoor rack and resting the beads on
a fibre shelf that sits directly on the kiln floor. They don't stick or get marked, just make sure they are not glowing
still when you put them in.
I couldn't get on with the Tuffnells inside the kiln rack, I couldn't position it so that I could shut the bead door enough.
Cathy
www.paintboxcrafts.co.uk  www.paintboxcrafts.etsy.com

ShinySnail

OK thanks for the advice, I just ordered the Tuffnells rack so will see how things go

;D