Can I use 90COE glass for 'frit painting'?

Started by helenfc, August 30, 2010, 10:51:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

helenfc

title says it all...and if not what can i use and where can i get it??? thanks muchly x

helbels

Most frit is around the 90 - 95 coe anyway as I understand it, so any frit should be fine, just don't use too much of it!

Hotglass28

Frit painting is mainly bullseye glass, I think bullseye first started it all off but I could be wrong.

no wait, I'm thinking about painting with powders....... Is that what you mean? on a flat surface not on lampwork?

Denise

www.facebook.com/pages/The-Owl-Goes-Hoot/567182803365298
www.etsy.com/uk/shop/TheOwlGoesHoot?ref=l2-shopheader-name

helenfc

no i mean lampwork...mixing frit with clear glass then 'painting' it onto the mandrel, val cox talks about it in her frit book. thanks helen I'll give it a shot :) have some ideas for my new kaz frit blends which i will finally get my hands on on wednesday ;D

Sarah

You can do this but be careful not to use too much frit or you will have some compatibility cracking.

It's safest to use COE 96 - spectrum would be a good choice. I have some which I think came from tempsford stained glass or possibly the glass shop in Lichfield whose name escapes me  ??? Try googling spectrum glass and you should find some.

Sarah
Xxx

Pat from Canvey

For those in and around London, the Lead and Light Studio in Camden is a good place for sheet glass including Spectrum. they also sell glass in small squares about a foot square. I used to hire the sandblaster there too. see http://leadandlight.co.uk/courses.php
PS the site says mail order glass is 8 inch by 10 inch

Kaz

If you follow the Val Cox method you will be fine. My frit blends are coe 94 +/- 2.
Bear in mind though that that method can give murky results if you overdo the amount of frit.
Kazx
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!