Advice for First Kiln Use

Started by Lindy, August 25, 2010, 07:59:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lindy

Hello
I have my kiln ready to go. It is a Paragon Express 12AB (with bead door). I want to start with making beads. Do I have to have a test fire? Does it matter if I don't?
Who uses kiln was on the bottom of the kiln? Should I put some on?

I would appreciate your advice.

Thank you. Lindy

Zeldazog

It's usually advised with most kilns to do a test fire, to burn off an excess residue from the manufacturing process.  If it has a bung, leave this open to about 400 degrees centigrade to allow any fumes to escape (this is a one time only) - it might smell a bit, but don't worry!

Don't know about that kiln specifically, but again, usually with a firebrick kiln, I think the advice is to give the bottom of the kiln a going over with kiln wash - but that's from a fuser's point of view.  Not sure if some beady people just put a normal ceramic tile on the floor - but I would put something down, on the very unlikely off-chance that the kiln overshot - avoids melted glass stuck to the firebrick.

julieHB

I just use my ceramic kiln shelf with no kiln wash  :)
Julie xx

My Webbie - My Flickr

Lindy

Thank you for your help. I did a test fire, and yes it did stink. And then as I was keen to make some beads this afternoon I put a kiln shelf on the bottom.
The beads are in the kiln now and even though they are wonky with uneven patterns, I can't wait to see my first batch.

Trudi

Nice one!

I have a bog standard tile on the bottom of my kiln!

Lindy

Oh, I have to say Trudi, I read the old posts about kiln questions that you asked. I could not stop smiling as I was going through the same thing and needed to ask someone the same questions. Thank goodness for those old posts still on here.

Trudi

It's true, we all have to go through it!

perhaps we should put something on the FH wiki pages so it's there for ref!

Lindy

The next step now is to practise making beads. My first batch are still in the kiln but they were wonky, shape wise and pattern wise. I have been looking at lots of members websites and blogs and there are many many many fantastic and beautiful beads. I wonder how long is the improvement, practise stage? But the practise is fun. Still so many questions.