Kiln Shelf Help

Started by kakirra, August 03, 2010, 08:54:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kakirra

Hi everyone,

I had a dilema of whether or not this post would go in this section or the kiln section but I figured it wasn't a question about a kiln, just the kiln shelf.  If it's the wrong place, I'm really sorry.

I'm new to fusing glass but have had a few successful attempts.  I use a Paragon Sc2 kiln with the shelf kit that comes with it.  Before using it the first time, I put 10 coats of wash on to the shelf.  However after 3 or 4 firings the wash has come off in several places.

I attempted to clean the rest of it off tonight so that I could put a fresh coating of wash on it.  I held it under a running tap and then scrubbed at it with a toothbrush.

I'm wondering if I've done the right thing now.  I've put a layer of wash on and it hasn't soaked in like it did last time.  Now it's suddenly dawned on me that it's completely waterlogged.  Have I ruined my shelf by getting it water logged?  I don't want it to suddenly explode on me if there is still some water in the centre that hasn't dried out when I come to fire it.  Am I being paranoid?  How long do I need to leave it to dry out before I put the next layer of wash on?

Thanks

Yvonne
x

Zeldazog

No you won't have ruined your shelf by getting it wet.  But you do need to dry it out thoroughly before you fire anything on it.

When I re-coat my shelves, I fire the shelf, empty, up to around 200C and hold for about half an hour, let it cool before I use it (I actually have two shelves, so sometimes, if the kiln is on, I dry the second shelf on the top when the kiln is on)

For future reference, it's much easier to clean the old wash off dry.  Make sure you wear a dust mask and use a green pot scrubber, and you will find the previous wash will come off quite easily.  It's a lot harder to get off when you wash it (And it saves drying issues)

Also, I don't put 10 layers on - some only put four on - I tend to put across, down, diagonal, opposite diagonal and sometimes down and across again if I have made the wash a bit thin, or not loaded the brush properly.

Trudi

there's a lot to be said for kiln paper!!!  :D

firedinglass

I agree about the kiln paper... i stopped using kiln wash years ago!  It's so much easier, quicker  and cleaner to use fibre paper :)

www.facebook.com/firedinglass
http://www.etsy.com/shop/firedinglass
Lisa

Warm Glass UK

Below is a link to a PDF we have on our site which may be of help. 

http://www.warm-glass.co.uk/Downloads/Public/Products/Tools/Using%20Shelf%20Primer.pdf

BTW, we've got loads of these Info PDFs on the site - always on the bottom right of the product page they relate to so feel free to download and use as needed.

Thanks, Pippa

Zeldazog

I do agree that kiln paper *is* easier but, even in bulk quantities, kiln paper works out something like TEN TIMES more expensive than Bullseye shelf primer....

kakirra

Thank you so much to everyone for your replies.

I've let the shelf dry now for several days and I can definitely see a colour change to what I was expecting so I think I'm okay to go.

I'll remember about the dry clean next time.  I did wonder after I'd started if it wouldn't be easier that way.

I never went the paper way because I didn't fancy having too hoover out the kiln.  I also used it once before and couldn't get marks off my piece.

Thanks ever so much again.

Yvonne
x

Pat from Canvey

You can also use one of those tiny sponge decorating rollers to put on the batwash. It does leave an interesting pattern on the shelf though. I always hated using a brush as there were always one or two hairs to remove from the shelf. Another tip is to make a thickish paste out of the batwash and use a cake icing nozzle to make patterns on the shelf.
I did this as an experiment many years ago when I did a little cake decorating for the children.

kakirra

ha ha, that's great pattern work :)  I do some cake decorating myself, I might give it a go - lol

Interesting on the little roller.  I think I've got one lying around that I never used for decorating the house, I might see if I can dig it out and try that.  I've not had any hairs off the brush yet though, but I've only used it twice ;)

Thanks again
Yvonne
x