Grrrr....propane or not?

Started by Shirley, May 07, 2007, 04:06:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shirley

It had to happen on a Bank Holiday. I ran out of gas. So, I went and got a new one, came home, set it up, lit the torch. Flame goes out. No problem, I thought, it always does that after I've bled the hose. Try again, lots of hissing, torch won't light. Plenty of hissing but not much smell of gas. I tried playing with the regulator but no good. Unhooked it from the quick release and there's a faint gas smell but not a lot.

So, is it empty, or is it something other than propane? Shop is now shut. I want to torch. Grrrrrrrr.......
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

BeadyBugs

Oh eck!  Naughty shop!!!  :(

I'm assuming it's the usual orange/red cylinder?  Even if they'd filled it with the wrong gas, I'm guessing, but I reckon it would still light???  I don't know how big the tank is, but if it's full of propane, you can hear and feel it slosh about if you shake it.  Another tip is to weigh it.  If it's a 6kg tank for example, it will weigh 6kg (propane gas) plus the weight of the cylinder, so it will be much heavier than an empty one?

Don't know if that helps?  But I know it won't help you get a full one today....sorry.

Good luck Shirley.

HP x
Helen P

littlegiggles

there's only one thing I can say.....

what a bummer

Shirley

I can't tell by the weight of the cylinder as it's a different style to the one I traded in. Red one though, so should be the same stuff. Won't be able to get to that shop until next weekend now. Only went there in the first place because they were open today.

Never mind, been meaning to get a second tank so that I've always got some gas so I'll get that sorted, hopefully on the way home from work tomorrow and then take the other one back next week.

I was on a bit of a roll too. :(

Mary

Someone else had that problem (Haitch?) on her HH, turned out it wasn't propane in her bottle. She took it to her welding shop where they caught it. So it is possible!

LesleyMac

Oh how blo*dy annoying Shirley, I would be furious if I had made a special trip.
You will have to get two, I have as I could really not stand the frustration.
Even more if you felt you were on a roll, its not like that happens all the time.
Sorry I can't be helpful but I can only think its empty or has the wrong gas in there.
Lesley
Everyone is gifted, its just that some leave the wrapping on longer than others
(Richard Wilkins)

My Etsy http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5469196

Shirley

I have got one unused cylinder of MAPP........but I'm not THAT desperate!  :D

Dragonfire Glass

Aw Shirley! Sounds empty to me! Good idea to get a spare. I'm at the point where I'm thinking how much longer will it last!

BeadyBugs

Quote from: Shirley on May 07, 2007, 05:05:43 PM
I have got one unused cylinder of MAPP........but I'm not THAT desperate!  :D

Hehehe!  I was last time my propane ran out on my Betta, so thought I'd get out the MAPP and HH!  Oh what a shock that was!!! :o  I gave up after half an hour and one wonky! ;D

Hope you get it sorted - what a pain!!!

HP x
Helen P

Shirley

I've found a Calor depot near work. With a bit of luck I can get there before it closes this afternoon. Then I can play tonight!

BeadyBugs

Yayy!  Fingers crossed. ;)

Happy beading Shirley...hopefully with the right gas. ;)

HP x
Helen P

Trudi

I thought that my tank was going to run out so I got Dad to pick me up a spare tank - they don't charge a deposit on the bottle - so it's always handy!!
Shirely I hope you manage to get some today!

Shirley

6kg gas, all working fine. made 16 beads tonight. OK, 10 were spacers, but I'm counting them! :D

Dragonfire Glass

glad you are up & running again Shirley!