Grinding glass?

Started by elburnzo, July 14, 2010, 06:39:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elburnzo

Hi, I'm being a bit thick today but how would I grind the edge of some fused glass pendants i've made? I wanted them sorta more angular than rounded. What would I need to do it and how?

;D

Zeldazog

If you have not got access to a linisher (usually found in colleges, unis or glass workshops) and can't stretch to buying your own grinder like these

Warm Glass Power Tools

Then you could also try hand lapping pads - Set of Four diamond coated "sanding pads"  (other places sell these too).

You can buy carborundum stones for much less, but it would take you forever I think! 

the only other thing I could think of is a water fed power tile saw, the sort with the circular saw, take of the edges, the fire polish the pendants, but to be honest, they don't give the best edge, and sometimes you can't get the scum off even with a fire polish

Unless you simply HAVE to have a lap grinder, I would guess the pads are the way to go (I personally HAD to have a lap grinder  ;) ;))

elburnzo

hmm another thing to save up for! I have been trying the stone, and i would've grown a beard before i got anything straightened out lol. Also tried the wee grinding bit on my dremel which worked a lot better but wasnt really big enough.

Moreton

Hi , try these. I buy them from the tool man on our weekly market. Perfect for removing jaggy edges and small points on the surface. Use wet.

regards Pete
Pete

Moreton

Pete

elburnzo

ooo ithanks for tht, i've bought those. will give them a bash and start saving up for yet another tool!

julieHB

I have a taurus ring saw, which is just perfect for cutting and shaping cabs....however, it costs a lot of money!

When I started to make end-of-mandrel lampwork cabs I wanted to make have a totally flat bottom, but couldn't really justify the cost of a flat lap, so I thought I'd try a cheap sickle stone - it works a treat, and it's neat and cheap  ;D: http://www.warm-glass.co.uk/Shop/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=293

To finish the cabs off you have to fire polish them.

Julie xx

My Webbie - My Flickr