Blowing hollows

Started by lemon kitten, July 12, 2010, 10:29:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lemon kitten

Ok.so I've got me hollow mandrel and I've had a bash at blowing but all I get is VERY thin shards anyone got any tips on how to blow hollows using a blowpipe mandrel.....or is it impossible to do??

Janey x
Never stand up in a canoe!

garishglobes

I wouldn't have thought it impossible...but if you are blowing very thin shards, you're probably either blowing too hard or you've got the glass too hot or a combination of the two....and go slowly, maybe don't try to do the whole thing in one go. Gentle slow puff, let it cool, examine the shape and repeat. Don't forget also to keep the tube turning as you blow.

kaatje

Quote from: garishglobes on July 12, 2010, 10:39:05 AM
don't try to do the whole thing in one go. Gentle slow puff, let it cool, examine the shape and repeat. Don't forget also to keep the tube turning as you blow.
Yes, that was the eye-opener for me..... I always blew the thing in one go until someone else demonstrated that I should have lots of more patience! Success!
Love, Karin

theflyingbedstead

No - it isn't impossible! It just needs tiny breaths with all of the bead hot enough so that you don't blow a hole in just one area. I use a blob of blutak to cover the mouthpiece to stop the air escaping in case I do re-heat it too much after.

And besides...shards are useful!  ;)

Quote from: lemon kitten on July 12, 2010, 10:29:35 AM
Ok.so I've got me hollow mandrel and I've had a bash at blowing but all I get is VERY thin shards anyone got any tips on how to blow hollows using a blowpipe mandrel.....or is it impossible to do??

Janey x
Charlotte x