Where can I find some moulds???

Started by Bluebell, June 21, 2010, 06:58:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bluebell

Hi Folks
Does anyone know where I can find some really cool moulds for making jewellery items (small ones).  I'm particularly interested in finding hearts, circles, triangles, squares etc., both solid and hollow (you know... the type of mould that makes a hole in the centre). 

The ones I'm looking for would be filled with frit or powder or left over cuttings. I've trawled for ages on the web and can't find anything, but I see the finished product being sold on websites and I'm keen to have a go.

Alternatively, any ideas on how to make them?

Cheers x

Zeldazog

Warm Glass do them:

Warm Glass UK

If you haven't ordered from them before, first order is free postage. 

Tempsford Stained Glass sell moulds, not looked at the range:  http://www.tempsfordstainedglass.co.uk/

Creative Glass Shop sell moulds, as well as mould making supplies:  http://www.creativeglassshop.co.uk/

IF you want to make your own, there's a few options:

Plaster moulds, well you need to use plaster and flint - you can take a direct cast of some items into plaster, or you could mould it in soft clay and take a plaster cast off that.  Plaster/flint moulds are usually only good for one or two uses (you might get two or three out of a flat mould, but unlikely to get more when casting a shape as you want to.

You can make moulds out of clay, which are re-usable many times, but you need access to a high firing kiln - you need to be able to at least biscuit fire the clay, about 950 centigrade.  You have to use kiln wash on a ceramic mould otherwise your glass will stick.

I think all of the above also sell mould making materials, so check out their websites for those too - but I have never used it, I always use clay or plaster.

HTH

Dawn
x
I think all of the above sell mould making materials, check out the web sites. 

sea-thistle

I got mine from Tempsford Glass, they are about 40 miles from me up the A1

Hotglass28

www.facebook.com/pages/The-Owl-Goes-Hoot/567182803365298
www.etsy.com/uk/shop/TheOwlGoesHoot?ref=l2-shopheader-name

Hotglass28

And, if you want to go mad with glee....

http://www.slumpys.com/SlumpysStore/default.aspx

I have used both companies with no problems with delivery, and the moulds are really easy to use. (make sure you use the correct primer thou)

I hate to say it in this case but the UK is rubbish for sourcing this kind of thing.

Flyingcheesetoastie

Oooooh, cast a knob....

Can I ask with these reusable molds, do you have to do much coldworking on the glass once it's out?

Hotglass28

You said knob!   hehe

Coldworking no, but what tends to happen is that a second firing for a fire polish is needed as sometimes the glass needles no matter what you do to avoid it on the first firing.

I will at some point buy more little moulds from itty bitty as the customer service was fab.  (always a winner for me)

Denise

Flyingcheesetoastie

Yeah, I thought firepolishing was probably the way with these.  I like the idea of making knobs actually but am concerned about the steel inclusion element, as it wouldn't of been my first choice of metal to cast onto...

Hotglass28

You could email her about that I guess, very helpful person.  I would be concerned about the glass cracking around the pin personally unless its such a small/thin shaft they use.  I haven't looked closely into those moulds but I bet you could easily drill a hole and secure a post after firing the knob?

They are fun to use.......  and no I'm not on commission. lol

Bluebell

Thanks sooooo much folks!

I have actually seen these sites, but thought there would be a bit of hassle ordering and was looking for a UK company, but as pointed out - the UK is terrible for getting these things - so further afield it has to be.

I particularly like the heart shapes - but my next problem is thinking of a way of embedding a silver loop!  

A while back when I started fusing, I had an absolute disaster with just about every glue on the market and glueing is something that I just refuse to do.

I normally either embed fine silver loops or make little tunnels for wire.  So anyone got any ideas how I can get round this one as the moulds wouldn't allow space for this.

I'm not being fussy.........just trying to be creative.

Cheers x

Hotglass28

No your not being fussy I agree, I wil not use glue on bail anymore as I want to keep customers for the future.  I don't do many commissions these days but I refuse to put my name on the line just incase a glue fails.

So no, your not be fussy.

You could add a loop on a fire polish/tack fire with a tiny tab of glass on the back?

Flyingcheesetoastie

I liked the look of their (can't remember which of the two now) molds for beads, using cocktail sticks coated in battwash.  Although TBH I'm going to simply make my own molds as it's too easy not too!  Anyone wanting any ludo can bring a bucket to my studio and fill it up, I have plenty!

The Fire Devil

Just bought a star shaped mould from Warm Glass, but need to pluck up the courage to prime it and use it.  Thanks for the tip on needling, will be interested to see what comes out of the mould.

When it comes to holes for stringing materials, I use fibre rope (and a GOOD dust mask, that stuff is lethal!) to creat the holes - you can separate the strands for smaller holes too.  Not had much success myself with metal inclusions.

However, I've never had any problems with gluing bails.  I use Araldite and mix it thoroughly and also prepare the surface by filing both the bail and the back of the cab (use a diamond file under cold running water to rough the glass up - have upgraded to a Dremel and will use a flexshaft to keep the electric drill away from the water - eeeek!).  Once surfaces are prepared, I clean thoroughly with acetone.  Then glue.  Hold for 15 seconds and it works a charm.  Not had any returns or anything fall off (so far) - touch wood!  :o)