stainless steel molds

Started by loulabelle, June 18, 2010, 10:24:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loulabelle

Hi does anyone know where I can get cheap and interesting molds from? I've looked on the fap website but can't find a) a price list or b) a stockist in the uk.
louise ???

Zeldazog

The only UK supplier I remember seeing for stainless steel moulds is at Tempsford Stained Glass

I've not come across anybody else in the UK selling them, and I have been looking on and off for a while. 

But you don't necessarily have to think about ready made moulds, especially if you're using stainless steel.  I've bought some nice bowl shapes from Ikea, and a candle holder with stepped concentric circles that I keep meaning to try some day.  Woks are nice shapes too.

elburnzo

yip i got some stainless steel indian curry bowls from poundland, popped a few holes in the bottom with a hammer and nail, gave it a sand and off i went. tried it in the kiln and it lived to tell the tale.
Of course i put the temp up too high and my glass ended up a blob at the bottom but hey thts the learning curve for you lol

Lucas

Anyone who uses stainless steel things - do you sand and then coat with ordinary kiln wash or do you use the expensive boran oxide (or something like that!) stuff?

Black Heart Beads

I have just brought some stainless steel bits to try from Poundland and Wilkinson and ordered some of the spray. Will be giving it a go as soon as the spray gets to me.

Zeldazog

I heated mine up and sprayed it whilst it was still hot. The second time I used it, the previous firing seemed to have already affected the surface and ordinary kiln wash stayed on.

Pat from Canvey

I've used boron nitride in the past. It's very good but also expensive. Mine was bought I think from Creative Glass in Rochester,
http://www.creative-glass.com/e/products/kws/kilns_working_supplies.php#     Click on "shelf  primer and fibre paper"   Mine was Provetro 500 grams made up in a bottle.

Billie

Flyingcheesetoastie

Pearsons have some in their clearance catalogue online, so don't know if they still have any stock.  I've got over 50 stainless steel molds in the studio and have only ever used batt wash on them, it only really lasts one firing but is cheaper than boron nitride.