What size propane?

Started by ShinySnail, June 17, 2010, 09:12:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShinySnail

I have managed to get my propane canister back from my ex - and it's enormous! 13.5kg... i'm sure it has grown since I last laid eyes on it!

I know that this is too big, but what size is ideal?
I have a BOC nearby but the canister I have is Calor Gas... I wonder if they will take my old one

ohhh shed is up and half insulated, now I can start buying the fun stuff!
;D

Steampunkglass

That sounds like a good size  ;D it really depends on how much you do and how often you want to get refills. I got 6kg as it was easier to take to and fro for refils, but wish I'd have got a larger size. I seem to be forever getting refills :( although I guess for me it lasts a couple of months. I now have two canisters so I've got one full as they tend to run out at just the wrong moment!

noora

What kind of torch do you have (or will get)? A torch that uses an oxycon uses much less propane. My 6 kg canister seems to last forever with my Minor bench burner, but if I had a HotHead or similar I would probably get a larger tank or a second one to have as backup :)

jammie

I have a six cos it fits under the table and is easier to move.... I agree it always runs out at the wrong time, although is there a right time for gas to run out I wonder. Mine lasts about 2 months as well thats on a hot head

princess pink

I've got a 12kg tank and had it for a year and it's still not empty! That's with me using it about once a week for 4-5 hours a time. I get mine from flogas as they do free delivery.

flaming beads

I have  19KG bottle...huge!...but it lasts me about 5months, give or take and i've got a mega minor and oxycon...hope this helps ;D

SilverGems89

i've got a 13.5kg bottle, i dont find it too big at all,  i've had it for about 5 months but then i only use it occasionally! I went for that size because its the easiest to get refills for in my area
BOC wont take Calor gas bottles and vice versa, you have to have an account with BOC to get them refilled, which is ridiculous, hence why i went with Calor, just go to the local petrol station to get a new one!

poledra1958

I have a small 3,5kg ones which lasts me about 1 month on my HH.  I probably use for approximately 4-5 hours a week

Jenny

HH on Bulk,

Helen G

I'd say it just depends on circumstances, I have a 19kg now and get my son to chuck it in the car and get a fresh one from the garage. When I lived in a flat with no car I had a 3.5kg one.

I would say to save trips go as big as you can manage and afford.

Get an old one from a local tip though, ours charge a fiver for an empty one, they had loads. Infact we even had 3 dumped in our lane the other day. Just take it to a retailer and swap it for a full one.

Kalorlo

I have a little 3.9kg one as I'm in a flat. Lasts me 4-5 weeks on a hothead and I try to torch 1-2 hours per night. I have a Flogas supplier just a few minutes away so I get mine from there and wheel it home in my shopping trolley. When we move somewhere with outside space I'll get a bigger one, though not the largest as I'll have to take it to be exchanged myself still!

Krysia@No98

I have a 13.9kg and I live in a ground floor flat.  (It is inside)  I have checked with the buildings insurance and I can have up to 25kg before they want to reassess the policy.  I won't go any bigger because I can't lift it and in the incredibly unlikely scenario that it was leaking and I needed to get it out and being able to move it would help.

This is my second tank, my first one I expected to last 60 hours and it lasted longer.  (I am not at home so I can't tell you exactly)  I am on a hot head.

I would say that you need to think about how easy it is for you to get refills (I don't drive so am very dependent on others)  Where you can store it.  I know that others like to have a spare so two smaller ones might work better then slightly bigger one.
-* -  Courage is going from failure to failure with out loosing enthusiasm -*-

ShinySnail

ahhh... thanks everyone - maybe i'll stick with it then, providing it will fit under the desk.

I have only seen a couple of lampworking stations set up and they both had small bottles so I assumed it might be dangerous or something to use larger ones.

One day soon I might know what i'm talking about!

flaming beads

Margram

Mine's that size but I keep it outside the shedio. They deliver it for me, even to the bottom of the garden :).
Marg x  Etsy Flickr My blog

beadysam

Mines a big one ;), I think its the 19kg or something like that.